IB Visual Arts HL topic + work

Nico Valdés

Hello,

I am starting my second year of IB in march. I am suffocated with IB art HL. I choose it because it was the only artistic option we have in my school and because I love visiting museums, talkling with artists, admirating it. Also because I love graphic design.

The problem is the following:

Last year I started really motivated and then with all the work of different subjects I started desmotivating. Also, the fact that my handwriting is horrible and I am awful drawing. So, I know I have good ideas, I know I visited a lot of places with art (I am from Uruguay and I´ve been in NYC where there is a lot of arts) I have been studying things relationed to visual arts (filmmaking) and I love music (singing and piano lessons) but I really don´t know how can I work hard to complete this second year with a great workbook (sometimes I loose a lot of time decorating, and many people says it is not important) and many works.

Also, the fact that I don´t have a topic it is important. I like social problems, but I think it is a common topic and I am affraid that by using this topic I will get an awful mark in my real exam and I will loose the IB diploma programme.

Please help me I need a road.

Regards,

Nicolás.

Hello Nico :)

You will be absolutely fine, I promise. IB is challenging but it's also so much fun. You would probably know that by now. I remember looking back at the end of Year 12 and being amazed at how much I had grown. I'm really no genius nor am I overly hardworking (honestly I have no idea how I've made it this far, hah!)

Just stay focused the way you are now, that's priceless.

As for art, you don't need to be able to draw. Art can be absolutely anything: painting, photography, sculpture etc. I'm terrible at drawing myself and I didn't let that stereotypical idea of 'art' get in my way. Try looking at conceptual art? The workbooks are tricky but try to do them in your own time and space - think about yourself and your emotions. Whatever is on your mind - let it out. Don't worry about it looking good or making sense. Be open, loose and confident.That's what really gets in the way of most things, namely, creativity. And a good IB Visual Art grade truly does not depend on how 'good' you are. It really has to do with evidence of focus, confidence, application, expression and exploration. They need to see that you are truly interested in what you've done and that you put time and effort into your course.

And if you think that your topic or theme is too common, don't abandon it - just make it YOURS. Personalize it, look at the social issues around you and look at how you can make your pieces stand out. However, you don't NEED to have a topic now. Go with the flow and look at your work at the end of Year 13. Most people often find a trend or recurring theme. Don't sweat it at all!

I hope you feel a little more grounded!

Cheers