What happens if you don't achieve the score?

hector_glz

Hi there,

I'm looking forward to applying to some UK univs, anyways I've been reading everything I can and Im ready to apply on september.

But I have some questions, does anybody know what happens if for instace the univ offers you a place if you achieve 36 pts on the IB Diploma but at the end of the day you score 35 or 34 even though your predicted grades were calculating the 36 ponits. Will you be automatically rejected from the university?

Know of any cases?

Also, I read something about just being able to apply to 5 univs with UCAS. Is this true?

So if I want to apply to...lets say 8 univs, shall I make a separete application, making two applications, one for 5 and the other one for 3?

Any other mexicans applying to the UK or studying in there...I would like to get in contact with u

thanks any reply will be useful =)

But I have some questions, does anybody know what happens if for instace the univ offers you a place if you achieve 36 pts on the IB Diploma but at the end of the day you score 35 or 34 even though your predicted grades were calculating the 36 ponits. Will you be automatically rejected from the university?
I think it depends on how nice the university is to you. I know of a case, where a girl got accepted into some university with her predicted marks, but her marks dropped a lot after the official exams and the university took back their acceptance. :\ If you get only 1 or 2 points lower, I don't think they'll reject you, but you might be cutting it close [from what I know]. Just do as best as you can. :)

I think it depends on how nice the university is to you.

This is true. Also the impression you made with your application on each uni will also play a role. Most of the people in my class did not make their uni offers. As of right now, 2 people have gotten in despite getting 2-3 points lower than their offers.

lesson: make your application unique and impressionable

Guest Lily Bean
Also, I read something about just being able to apply to 5 univs with UCAS. Is this true?

Yes

So if I want to apply to...lets say 8 univs, shall I make a separete application, making two applications, one for 5 and the other one for 3?

No you can't do this. You can only submit 1 UCAS form

I think it depends on how nice the university is to you. I know of a case, where a girl got accepted into some university with her predicted marks, but her marks dropped a lot after the official exams and the university took back their acceptance. :\ If you get only 1 or 2 points lower, I don't think they'll reject you, but you might be cutting it close [from what I know]. Just do as best as you can. :)

Sorry, KLSmash, but this is actually not the way the UK university system works. Unlike in Canada or the US where you first get accepted and then can get rejected if you have a bad score, in Britain you get an offer for say 36 points that you need to achieve. When you get your final IB grades, if you meet this 36 points, you're accepted into the uni. However, the uni might let you in if you just miss the offer and get say 35 points.

Sorry, KLSmash, but this is actually not the way the UK university system works. Unlike in Canada or the US where you first get accepted and then can get rejected if you have a bad score, in Britain you get an offer for say 36 points that you need to achieve. When you get your final IB grades, if you meet this 36 points, you're accepted into the uni. However, the uni might let you in if you just miss the offer and get say 35 points.
Hmm, I guess you learn something new each day. :) Out of curiosity, how does it exactly work if you don't mind me asking? Like do you apply to UNIVERSITY A for PROGRAM B, and then you get a response saying: "If you can get 36 points, we will give you admission into PROGRAM B"?

Guest Lily Bean
Hmm, I guess you learn something new each day. :) Out of curiosity, how does it exactly work if you don't mind me asking? Like do you apply to UNIVERSITY A for PROGRAM B, and then you get a response saying: "If you can get 36 points, we will give you admission into PROGRAM B"?

Yes, this is exactly the way it works. It's called a conditional offer and you only get admission if you meet the condition.

Yes, this is exactly the way it works. It's called a conditional offer and you only get admission if you meet the condition.

So what will happen in this hipothetical case?

I get two conditional offers for two different universities...one which is asking me for 36 pts and another one which is asking me for 38 pts.

Do I have to reject one offer??

So if I went for the 38 pts offer (rejecting the univ asking for 36) and didn't make it...I wouldn't be able to get into the univ which was asking me for 36 pts so I will have no univ to go to?

You have the choice to choose a firm and an insurance uni. You can choose the 38 point uni as your firm, and the 36 point uni as your insurance. If you get 39, then you're in the 38 point uni. If you get 37, you're in the 36 point uni. If you get 35, then you either: a. beg your uni to let you in, or b. if you're still intent on going to uni in the UK, you go through a process called clearing where you see which uni still has a few places left on their course, and you ring them up and ask them if they will let you in. Or you can go to another country all together. You have the option of another country since you're international. Apply to 2 or 3 countries, and go either where ever you get in or where ever you feel like?

De donde esta? Tengo una amiga del Veracruz, que va a estudiar en Escocia.

You have the choice to choose a firm and an insurance uni. You can choose the 38 point uni as your firm, and the 36 point uni as your insurance. If you get 39, then you're in the 38 point uni. If you get 37, you're in the 36 point uni. If you get 35, then you either: a. beg your uni to let you in, or b. if you're still intent on going to uni in the UK, you go through a process called clearing where you see which uni still has a few places left on their course, and you ring them up and ask them if they will let you in. Or you can go to another country all together. You have the option of another country since you're international. Apply to 2 or 3 countries, and go either where ever you get in or where ever you feel like?
Interesting. Last question, at what point do you have to accept/reject a university's offer [let's say you're a 2010 May graduate]?

Guest Lily Bean
Interesting. Last question, at what point do you have to accept/reject a university's offer [let's say you're a 2010 May graduate]?

It's like the June of the year you intend to go to uni.