How are my Subject choices if i want to major in finance?

Hi, i am in Year 11 currently and need to choose my IB subjects for next year. I plan to major in finance/commerce at US/Canadian universities.

HL: Maths, Economics, Psychology

SL: english lang/lit, arabic b or spanish ab initio, chemistry

Is it necessary to take HL maths if i plan to major in finance in america/canada? I'm currently doing IGCSE additional maths and am getting B/C's (could get an A if i put effort but i don't because i dont plan on taking the exam and i've already gotten an A* in IGCSE maths) If i drop HL maths i'd probably switch it with HL Chemistry.

If it helps im a US citizen, so taking HL maths would make a more competitive student but its not that important since im not International. And dont american/canadian universities care more about your overall score? As i'd rather get a higher overall score by doing HL chemistry than maths.However, i'm definitely going to try out HL maths for the 1st month (ib coordinator said its fine to do this).

Are the rest of my subject choices okay?

Thanks for the help!

• Like 1

US/Canada universities will not require you to have any specific subject at IB. Make sure you prepare for SATs. The courses you wish to peruse would definitely benefit from HL maths, eco and psychology. Having these subjects at HL can give you University credits which in some cases result in having the whole freshman year in credits, making your degree a three year course. Math HL is highly regarded but prioritise SATs. Don't take chemistry it's useless for your future career.

• Like 1

US/Canada universities will not require you to have any specific subject at IB. Make sure you prepare for SATs. The courses you wish to peruse would definitely benefit from HL maths, eco and psychology. Having these subjects at HL can give you University credits which in some cases result in having the whole freshman year in credits, making your degree a three year course. Math HL is highly regarded but prioritise SATs. Don't take chemistry it's useless for your future career.

Yah, i wll definitely prioritize the SATs and plan to start studying during the summer so i can take the exam in October. I know chemistry is irrelevant for my intended major but if i am not able to cope with HL maths i will need to do another HL. Therefore, i would be comfortable doing a science HL as i don't like english (it would be hell for me if i took it as one of my HL subjects as it is my all time least favourite subject)

Though I'm far from a US college expert, I would say that Maths HL isn't essential (though it can be useful) for finance. And yep, definitely prioritise SATs if you're looking at US admission. I felt as though all the maths SATs were absurdly easy (the maths section in the normal SAT and the maths II SAT subject test), but that doesn't mean you shouldn't study. Make sure you know the types of questions asked, practice timing, know where you are missing content (in terms of the maths II syllabus for SAT being slightly different to SL/HL maths) and take full advantage of your GDC. Ultimately, maths for the SATs will be much easier than Maths HL, so keep that in mind!

• Like 1