Geography: Urban Environments

emantse

Hey so I was looking through past exam papers for Option G and I found this question:

"Referring to examples, compare the patterns of formal and informal economic activities in urban areas."
Can some explain/answer this question, what are they asking about it exactly in terms of comparing the patterns?
Thank you so much in advance :)

The command tem compare means to "give an account of the similarities between two (or more) items or solutions (referring to both (all) of them throughout"- This means that when talking about the patterns of the economic activities would be that both economic activities have grown. I would assume that there would be some type of graph which would help you with this answer, which then means that you just need case studies to explain your argument, One possible way would be to talk about how both industries have been growing as a result of large demands, specifically for cheap labor (building houses, etc. - informal economic activity) as well as skilled labor (bankers, hoteliers - formal economic activity).

Not sure if this helps tho.

Even though I don't remember the particular question (I think I managed to finish every question, so I would have written a practice answer to this), I might be able to give some advice. In terms of comparing patterns, I think you could compare them in several ways. For instance - location, the socio-economic characteristics of people who work/purchase in that industry, scale of industries, growth of industries. You could also look at how the characteristics of informal and formal industries differ in MEDCs/LEDCs/NICs - that's a way you can break up your answer into paragraphs, looking at case studies of formal & informal from different types of urban areas. I don't have access to the markscheme, but that can also help give a guide as to what to do. Hope this helps!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

What year was this Question? If you let me know the year I will find the Mark scheme and have a look.

Generally as with all IB essay questions make sure that you tick all the boxes:

1. Good structure

2. Clear and specific evidence (refer to exact countries)

3. Evaluation - in this one probably looking at the extent that formal and informal activities are present in your examples.

To help you with the structure take a look at the IB Essay Planning template found here http://www.thegeographeronline.net/ Go to the skills section and it is the first section there,

Edited by SAH