Subject Choices for Economics - Uni

joeking

My subjects are-

HL: Math, Economics, Computers, Business

SL: English LL and Spanish.

I want to do a B.Sc in Economics and I would like to study in the UK (possibly, LSE). But, I'm concerned about my subject choice. I take both Economics and Business and I've been told that it doesn't look too good on an applications. I'm possibly considering the US as well. I just finished my midterms and what would you guys say as far as my subjects are concerned. Should I change from business to say, history? The guys have finished three books in history and I wouldn't want my average to fall just because of that.

As an alternative, I was thinking of doing a few AP courses: Macro, Micro, AB + BC Calculus. What would you recommend I do as far as my subjects are concerned? I could otherwise focus more on Economics and do a few online courses as well ....

Thanks,

Edited by joeking

My subjects are-

HL: Math, Economics, Computers, Business

SL: English LL and Spanish.

I want to do a B.Sc in Economics and I would like to study in the UK (possibly, LSE). But, I'm concerned about my subject choice. I take both Economics and Business and I've been told that it doesn't look too good on an applications. I'm possibly considering the US as well. I just finished my midterms and what would you guys say as far as my subjects are concerned. Should I change from business to say, history? The guys have finished three books in history and I wouldn't want my average to fall just because of that.

As an alternative, I was thinking of doing a few AP courses: Macro, Micro, AB + BC Calculus. What would you recommend I do as far as my subjects are concerned? I could otherwise focus more on Economics and do a few online courses as well ....

Thanks,

Business is sometimes regarded as a "softer" IB subject - you are right in thinking that it might not look too good on your application. Perhaps you can do a science SL? Or even HL, if you're up for it, so that you keep your 4HL thing going.

You should try as much as possible to do your EE in economics, and of course get a good grade. This shows your interest and capability to universities.

LSE is one of the universities that place a super high emphasis on your final grades - focus more on getting 45 points than taking other classes. In addition to this, they require a 7 at HL math for economics courses if I'm not wrong. So perhaps doing the STEP exams might be a good indication of mathematical ability.