Written Task 2 "Chronicle of a death foretold"

Hello,

I have got submit my 2nd Written task 2 by the end of this month, but I don't know how to start. I have already submitted my 1st written task 2 and I have got 14/20 and my teacher said it was not really a good/deep critical response to my prescribed question.

Anyways..

The book I should write about is "Chronicle of a death foretold". I thought about choosing this question "How could the text be read & interpreted differently by two different readers?". I know that this question should be concerned about (age, gender, social status..etc) of both the producer and reader.

My question is, how should my essay be structured (regardless the outline)? Through which point of views/perspectives should I write my essay. Is it more about stating an argument and a counter-argument? or is it more about interpreting specific quotes from the text in different ways?

I really need help as fast as possible!

Thanks in advance guys :)

I wrote about the same book on the same question for my WT2. I talked about how the book will be read and interpreted differently by a reader who comes from a culture where honor killing is acceptable vs. a reader who comes from a culture which condemns honor killing...

My teacher said that my ideas were good, but I failed to expand it/analyse them in further depth so I got 12/20... but I hope this will give you some ideas ;)

That question is the most obvious to apply - yet, paradoxically, it will yield the least satisfying answer, because the answer is self-evident: readers will either agree with honour killing for obvious reasons or disagree with these killings for equally mundane reasons. So, unless you are really attuned to the different shades of reasoning between these groups, you will likely produce the same old tired arguments for or against. None if this is helped of course by the media trends, most noticeable over the past two decades, of the slow closing out of "other, counter-culture voices " in our increasingly hermetically-sealed Western lives.

Anyway, have you tried the equally-pertinent, but perhaps better question choice, for this book? It will certainly improve your chances of writing an analytically-solid essay.

"How are different groups represented..."?

This question forces you to examine the essence of all literature - and any wriitng for that matter: representation. You can't go wrong with this. Instead of falling back onto tired old stereotypes, your essay will rely instead on your own (original) interpretation of how the writer uses language and structure to represent one or more distinct groups. Much more satisfying!

Good luck!

Edited by Blackcurrant
  • Like 3

That question is the most obvious to apply - yet, paradoxically, it will yield the least satisfying answer, because the answer is self-evident: readers will either agree with hi or killing for obvious reasons or anchor killings for equally dull reasons. So, unless you are really attuned to the different shades of reasoning between these groups, you will likely produce the same old tired arguments for or against. That is the trouble with the lack of "other, counter-culture voices " in our increasingly heretically-sealed Western lives.

Anyway, have y.ou tried the equally-obvious but perhaps better choice for this book? And for your chances of writing an analytically-solid essay?

"How are different groups represented..."?

This question forces you to examine the essence of all literature - and any wriitng for that matter: representation. You can't go wrong with this. Your answer will not dive into tired old stereotypes.

Good luck!

I think I understand what you mean with your answer. And yeah, it is really hard to write a coherent analysis with very good depth and knowledge about 2 different groups that may have never even existed.

I am already done with my WT2 now :) however I am over world limit, nearly 75 words are over limit.

I appreciate your answer and thank you :) I will inform you guys which mark did I get.