Crazy questions

isw12

Hi guys,

I finished IB DP last year, but my sister is about to choose her subjects. I was wondering if any of you guys know some of the rules regarding second (B) languages.

She's Dutch, speaks fluent Dutch, but goes to an international school in Switzerland. She wants to take Dutch A (which is OK) but doesn't know if she wants to do English A or English B. She has been at the international school for around 3 years now, so she hasn't been doing EAL (basically the MYP equivalent of English B). Can she still take English B if she would prefer to do so?

Also, this might sound horrendous to most of us: She would like to take five (!!!!!!!!) Higher Levels. Is this allowed?

Just an older brother trying to help his sister out, thanks guys!

Edited by isw12

I think she should be allowed to take English B if she wants to. I know a lot of people who are native Swedish speakers who take Swedish B so I see no reason for why she can't.

I'm not so sure about the 5 HL's though, I think she might have to take 4HL's and 2SL's but if she wants to, she could take one of the HL's as a certificate. Although I'm just guessing here...

• Like 1

She can certainly take English B if she desires it and the school she is attending approves of it.

She cannot take 5 HL subjects, however. To quote the IBO website: "At least three and not more than four [subjects] are taken at higher level (HL), the others at standard level (SL)."

• 2 weeks later...