Subject Topics to be chosen in IB for medical school in the UK

varsha sathish

I have researched the requirements for UK before and some schools do require both sciences at HL while others accept Chem + Math HL. Is it sensible to have Math HL if we want to also have options for other careers?

Only if that other career is engineering, economics, finance/actuarial science, math, physics/chemistry (as pure subjects). Otherwise it is not a specific requirement for anything else. HL math is preferred (maybe required) at Cambridge for medicine, but not at any others in the UK I believe.

Architecture?

Architecture maybe, but I'm not too familiar with the subject requirements for it. Check various uni websites. I'm thinking that it will be required/preferred but I'm not sure.

I researched as much as I can and Maths HL seems to be only mandatory subject. I couldn't find any other specific subject required for it (except for SL Physics and/or any other science based lessons suggested , but HL Math should make sense. All the architects I know (not just mom...) say that most of architecture is Math.

Also http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/medical_school_ib_requirements should be useful for this thread

Art HL is also a requirement for most architecture courses in the UK. My friend is doing Architecture at Newcastle and only did maths studies

I have researched the requirements for UK before and some schools do require both sciences at HL while others accept Chem + Math HL. Is it sensible to have Math HL if we want to also have options for other careers?

Only if that other career is engineering, economics, finance/actuarial science, math, physics/chemistry (as pure subjects). Otherwise it is not a specific requirement for anything else. HL math is preferred (maybe required) at Cambridge for medicine, but not at any others in the UK I believe.

Architecture?

Architecture maybe, but I'm not too familiar with the subject requirements for it. Check various uni websites. I'm thinking that it will be required/preferred but I'm not sure.

I researched as much as I can and Maths HL seems to be only mandatory subject. I couldn't find any other specific subject required for it (except for SL Physics and/or any other science based lessons suggested , but HL Math should make sense. All the architects I know (not just mom...) say that most of architecture is Math.

Also http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/medical_school_ib_requirements should be useful for this thread

Art HL is also a requirement for most architecture courses in the UK. My friend is doing Architecture at Newcastle and only did maths studies

Our overseas counsil suggests HL Chem instead of Art because sciences look rigorous/workload of IB art and getting a 7 is difficult etc. I don't find the counsil a reliable source through, they seem to force everyone to pick HL Maths + 2 Sciences + a "respected" group 3 for every career. Your friend didn't do Physics or Art and do you remember her overall score out of 45?

Architecture?

Our overseas counsil suggests HL Chem instead of Art because sciences look rigorous/workload of IB art and getting a 7 is difficult etc. I don't find the counsil a reliable source through, they seem to force everyone to pick HL Maths + 2 Sciences + a "respected" group 3 for every career. Your friend didn't do Physics or Art and do you remember her overall score out of 45?

My uni guidance councillor said without HL art you aren't getting in, unless your portfolio is fantastic and you offer it at SL. My friend did HL Art, SL Physics and Maths Studies, but I have a friend who did A level maths and art with no physics and got in. Her offer was 37 so i assume she got that or 38.

Architecture?

My uni guidance councillor said without HL art you aren't getting in, unless your portfolio is fantastic and you offer it at SL. My friend did HL Art, SL Physics and Maths Studies, but I have a friend who did A level maths and art with no physics and got in. Her offer was 37 so i assume she got that or 38.

Mine also said that your porfolio has to be astonishing. My school doesn't offer Visual Arts ,they offer Modern and Plastic Art instead. My friends who are taking those courses are complaining that the courses don't really help you to prepare a decent portfolio and they have to attend external workshops and get professional aid regularly every week. The IB coordinator said that if I explain to the schools that I did my lesson choice according to Medicine they'd understand but would it help to mention that Visual Arts isn't offered and the 2 art options are pilot courses?

Architecture?

Mine also said that your porfolio has to be astonishing. My school doesn't offer Visual Arts ,they offer Modern and Plastic Art instead. My friends who are taking those courses are complaining that the courses don't really help you to prepare a decent portfolio and they have to attend external workshops and get professional aid regularly every week. The IB coordinator said that if I explain to the schools that I did my lesson choice according to Medicine they'd understand but would it help to mention that Visual Arts isn't offered and the 2 art options are pilot courses?

Absolutely not, cause it doesn't show commitment to the subject! Are you sure you want to do architecture or med?

Architecture?

Absolutely not, cause it doesn't show commitment to the subject! Are you sure you want to do architecture or med?

I want med but our overseas counsil is very demotivating and condescending (to everyone) and insists that I need to have a back-up option because Med is impossible for non-citizens and no one will ever get in, especially at the US and she demands the double of every requirement while universities clearly state their minimum requirements. She also forced many people drop out of IB to prepare for med in Turkey. I believe that they are exaggerating because some people even from less rigorous schools in Turkey get accepted to Johns Hopkins etc every year and my friend's brother started pre-Med in USA this year (UK unis ,Kings etc have demanded him to apply and accepted his application in 24 hours). He graduated from our school last year and many others got into Med overseas this year. A family friend of ours which is one of the most known plastic surgeons in Turkey also agrees that the counsil is overreacting and I can easily get in even in USA with my current performance (His daughter is 16 like me and she has been in our school since grade 1, he knows our school well and he has a lot of knowdelge about studying med abroad ,he studied in US for many years).

I want med but our overseas counsil is very demotivating and condescending (to everyone) and insists that I need to have a back-up option because Med is impossible for non-citizens and no one will ever get in, especially at the US and she demands the double of every requirement while universities clearly state their minimum requirements. She also forced many people drop out of IB to prepare for med in Turkey. I believe that they are exaggerating because some people even from less rigorous schools in Turkey get accepted to Johns Hopkins etc every year and my friend's brother started pre-Med in USA this year (UK unis ,Kings etc have demanded him to apply and accepted his application in 24 hours). He graduated from our school last year and many others got into Med overseas this year. A family friend of ours which is one of the most known plastic surgeons in Turkey also agrees that the counsil is overreacting and I can easily get in even in USA with my current performance (His daughter is 16 like me and she has been in our school since grade 1, he knows our school well and he has a lot of knowdelge about studying med abroad ,he studied in US for many years).

Then focus on med and don't bother with architecture. Use biomedical science as your back up, as you'll eventually get into medicine, even if you have to do it as graduate.

• Like 1