IB newbie, questions

christinaisweird

Hi over pass few months before i graduated middle school(grade 8) I had been struggling to choose between 3 high schools.

Let's say that school "A" offers fencing, and german, but it has at least 4,000 attendees which population is bigger wise which means that fighting into ap classes are harder not to mention for sports and everything. It's just bigger and what school offers fencing man.

School "B" is my homeschool and it offers JAPANESE and not any other high school offers that it also offers my past friends and past relationship. If you take japanese there you might get a chance to go there for a summer to study.

Lastly, school "C" is a school that offers these great magnet programs, such as IB , medical program.

So i had decided to pick school "C" while all my friends think i'm going to school "B".
For school "C" i chose IB because I couldn't decide between the two. My career was going to be a doctor so I thought having IB would greatly help deal with all the learning and stuff.
So a few months afterwards like in May I got an acceptance letter saying I got in, but when summer vacation started like in the beginning for July they told me take a science course so I can take biology when I become a freshmen. Ughh. . towards that I'm told that all students who are taking that class in the medical magnet program, too. But that means I have to take Drives Ed. which I don't know why, but if I'm in both magnets I can get CAS hours at the hospital,too while learning stuff that's medical, but school "C" is really ghetto. People in my summer class are learning and reviewing what we learned last year. I must say it's not hard it's just long and tiring. At least they offer FREE lunch at a high school that's how ghetto it is. Good thing is that I can get a job at a hospital and get hours and stuff.

So I really need tips on being an IB student, but please keep in mind that I'm a freshmen so IB for me isn't until the last 2 years meaning junior and senior.
And last question, if I take the IB exams and everything during my senior year that's when i apply for universities how does the exam scores go on the application and since we don't do GPA how does that work and all ?

All comments and tips are welcomed keep them coming.

Edited by christinaisweird

I'm not really sure where the first part of your post fits in with your question, but here goes. You apply to universities the same time as everyone else does. Before applying, all your IB teachers will give you a "predicted" IB score for their respective subjects. You use this score to apply to universities. The score is based on past in-school tests and Internal Assessments that you've done and is reflective of how well teachers think you will do on your final IB exams. Aside from using predicted scores instead of GPAs, the rest of the process is not much different. You fill out forms, write personal statements and get letters of references from people. You get your acceptance before summer ends and usually they are conditional acceptances meaning that they will take you in if you get a certain score on your exams. After you do your exams and get your results, your school will send the results to your prospective university for confirmation of acceptance.

But seeing how you are still years away from IB, you shouldn't worry about that. Especially considering the unpredictable nature of IB. Who knows, maybe during your IB years, the IBO will change its policies entirely and a whole new process will be introduced. Keep your grades up and obtain a good working habit. That is essential for IB. The material itself isn't hard imo but it's the amount of work and time needed that gets to most people.

well if you are in the states you wil still have a GPA so you can use that to apply for uni. but the rest of what is said above s true. does your high school offer MYP? coz i was in a similar situation to what you were in when i was picking my hig school. i used to live in FL and i was chossing between IB (plus thee last two year of MYP in addition to MYP) and a different magnet school.