Handmaid's Tale

Brasselec

Hello, I'm doing an Oral Presentation on the Handmaid's Tale. My question is: How do characters find ways to follow their natural instinct?

If anybody has tips that might make it a great presentation, it would be most helpful. My time is between 10-15 minutes.

I generally liked the book, but most people don't.

Has your IOP been vetted (accepted by your teacher) ? It does not appear from your title to be a literary treatment of the book. You want to be sure it is.

1) A good procedure is to make the purpose of your IOP and significance of your subject clear from the start.

2) don't start a presentation with " Today I'm gonna talk about..." It sends a clear signal to your audience that they can fall asleep. You go ahead and talk, as promised.

3) Devise a presentation that will involve (genuinely) your audience intellectually. Well-thought out questions usually do this. Or getting an audience to make choices. The second is quick to do in class and very involving, esp. with moral issues. No need for 'wowing' the audience with ppt. gimmicks or gadgetry.

Grading activities ( by degree, intensity, seriousness, importance or whatever ... a scale -not a mark ) is also a great and simple way to stimulate thought and audience activity.

I'm sure others will have something to add, but hopefully this gives useful pointers already.

Why do you like this book, by the way? What kind of audience prejudice will you face with this choice of literary work? Your IOP will need to factor this in.

Edited by Blackcurrant
  • Like 3