Salve!

I have my mock Latin exam tomorrow so a quick reply would be much appreciated! Does anyone know what the rules are about what dictionaries you can and can't take into the exam? I just bought a Collins Latin Dictionary and Grammar, will this be okay?

Edited by Hannah V

You should be able to take a Latin dictionary into Paper 1, but definitely not into Paper 2 (unless it's different for HL). I don't know about the exact details of what dictionaries are allowed, but the Collins one seems as though it is something that would be allowed. I used the CT Lewis Latin Dictionary - it was the one that our Latin teacher/school provided. So if you can, I would try and see whether your teacher recommends a specific dictionary and/or can provide it for your mock exam. I'm sure there exists a list of approved dictionaries made by the IB, but I really don't know what would be on that. The only issue I can see arising is that if your dictionary also has "grammar" provided in it, then it may be considered as having too much detail, so it may not be allowed.

Whatever the case, if your school did not advise what dictionary to use with a day left until a mock exam, I would just take my chances and argue very hard that you can bring your Collins one in, as I found a dictionary absolutely indispensable in Paper 1, and I can't imagine doing it without a dictionary!

Yes, you can take Latin dictionaries into both SL and HL Paper 1, but neither SL nor HL Paper 2. The Collins dictionary is fine, and there are no issues with your dictionary containing grammar tables - the assumption is that you know your grammar already and you'll only be checking obscure grammar.

• Like 1

Yes, you can take Latin dictionaries into both SL and HL Paper 1, but neither SL nor HL Paper 2. The Collins dictionary is fine, and there are no issues with your dictionary containing grammar tables - the assumption is that you know your grammar already and you'll only be checking obscure grammar.

Sorry for jumping in sort of off-topic, but does this go for all language b's? That you're allowed to use a dictionary for paper 1 I mean. Haha that would make my Spansish paper 1 so much more surviveable :P

Sorry for jumping in sort of off-topic, but does this go for all language b's? That you're allowed to use a dictionary for paper 1 I mean. Haha that would make my Spansish paper 1 so much more surviveable :P

As far as I know, Latin and Classical Greek are the only two languages from Group 2 which allow this. Whilst it may seem unfair, it makes complete sense when you are the poor unfortunate student who has to sit the unseen translation passage of our paper 1! More seriously, since these classical languages don't really exist in the realm of practical use and everyday vocabulary recognition and recall, I guess that dictionary use is an entirely sensible concession to make. Though I'm totally willing to concede that at points my translations were just composed of stringing dictionary definitions together with a haphazard guess at grammar, which was not really any measure of my Latin skills. :)

• Like 1

As far as I know, Latin and Classical Greek are the only two languages from Group 2 which allow this. Whilst it may seem unfair, it makes complete sense when you are the poor unfortunate student who has to sit the unseen translation passage of our paper 1! More seriously, since these classical languages don't really exist in the realm of practical use and everyday vocabulary recognition and recall, I guess that dictionary use is an entirely sensible concession to make. Though I'm totally willing to concede that at points my translations were just composed of stringing dictionary definitions together with a haphazard guess at grammar, which was not really any measure of my Latin skills. :)

Yes, that's right - Latin and Classical Greek are the only two Group 2 languages which permit dictionaries.

Haha, this is so true; most of my translation was just a string of definitions in the correct tense/case. They did let me take in the Collins dictionary and seemed to be fine with the grammar section being there. I don't know how I'd cope if I didn't have the dictionary since there isn't a set list of vocab! Thanks all :)

• Like 1