What is really the importance of extra-curriculars?

fluteeee

So I'm in IB in America, and universities in general aren't as competitive as they are in other parts of the world. Of course there are the more prestigious universities, but I don't forsee myself going to any of the top ones. I'm insanely involved in extra-curriculars, and I've noticed my grades slipping. I still have straight A's, but they aren't as secure as usual.

I'm in marching band, a youth orchestra at a local university, periodic honor bands, allcounty band, marine biology club, French club, Music Honor Society, and Science club, and various online classes. I'm historian of French Club, which is actually pretty prestigious because that puts me in charge of the Scrapbook event for our state's French competition, which is a big deal. I'm also participating in 3 other events at this competition. Last year, I participated in crew (rowing) and loved it, but it's a big time commitment. With everything I already have going on, would it be worth doing crew and potentially getting B's?

Universities always prefer quality over quantity. Although it's nice to have ECs that you're interested in, you may want to drop anything that you don't hold an executive position in (i.e. keep French and all-country band). Grades will be also very important when you're applying to universities, so try to maximize your sophomore and junior marks.