Studying Applied Mathematics or other mathematical majors with Math SL (USA)

Intuition

Hello,

I am now a few months into my first year of IB. Throughout the semester I have been researching universities and majors that may interest me. I am mostly a math/science guy who also interester in economics.

One thing I noticed during my "research" is all the UK universities that automatically denies your application if you do not have higher level mathematics with the grade of 6 or higher for studies with a scent of science or math. (Including most economical courses).

So my question is... Does the top-notch universities in USA follow the same agenda?

Would I be able to study, for example, Applied Mathematics with Math SL?

And if of any help, I also study Physics HL, and I will be taking SAT II tests in both physics, math II and probably a third subject as well.

Most math-y courses in the US are designed to start you out at the most basic level (generally calculus 1, which is on a similar level to SL math). The majority of people don't start in Calculus 1, but they understand that not everyone had the same opportunity and design their curricula in such a way that it's possible. You will probably take a math placement test and they will review any math scores/SAT scores you have to determine the best starting placement for you when you get accepted to a particular university. In the meantime, aim to get a 7 in SL math to prepare yourself for the advanced math you'll be taking later on, and feel free to supplement your learning by doing math in your spare time.

• Like 1