can i study the 1st year of itgs at the summer&then continue at the 2nd year?

Guest ryuk1

So, I'm taking Economics and it's the worst subject that I have ever seen in my life. I want to quit it but the closest time that I can quit is next year because I'm halfway done with IB1. I am good at grasping stuff about technology and I have common sense so do you guys think that I can study the IB1 syllabus of ITGS during the summer and transfer at ITGS at IB2? Because I really want to quit economics

I think you should ask your school, cause they're the ones who will decide whether or not to allow it. Or approach your IBC about transferring now, which would be the best option.

They allow transferring only at IB2. I have begged them to transfer me now but they have declined. I am checking past papers through and I already know the answer of around %60 of the questions Edited by ryuk1

Well I think it's possible to do so but will you be able to manage it? Economics isn't too bad if you study well. Many people start off bad in Economics HL (you don't even take HL) but by the time they get used to learning econ it isn't so bad (this is personal experience).

I remember that that summer after my first year in IBDP wasn't exactly idle time. I had to start on EE and study a lot. And it seems kind of hard to learn ITGS without any guidance (do you even have a textbook on ITGS?). Of course, it's not impossible and the choice is yours. If you really hate Economics so much feel free to switch, but I strongly recommend that you do not do that. That being said ITGS seems like an easy subject but Economics isn't exactly a difficult subject either.

Does your school have any one year IB subjects? My school offer Psychology SL and Computer Science SL and both are one year subjects.

Well I think it's possible to do so but will you be able to manage it? Economics isn't too bad if you study well. Many people start off bad in Economics HL (you don't even take HL) but by the time they get used to learning econ it isn't so bad (this is personal experience).

I remember that that summer after my first year in IBDP wasn't exactly idle time. I had to start on EE and study a lot. And it seems kind of hard to learn ITGS without any guidance (do you even have a textbook on ITGS?). Of course, it's not impossible and the choice is yours. If you really hate Economics so much feel free to switch, but I strongly recommend that you do not do that. That being said ITGS seems like an easy subject but Economics isn't exactly a difficult subject either.

Does your school have any one year IB subjects? My school offer Psychology SL and Computer Science SL and both are one year subjects.

My school doesn't offer any one year subjects. I don't know the difference between the SL and HL Econ syllabus. We do group 3 subjects in mixed classes and both SL and HL students do the HL syllabus (No idea about the syllabus differences but I find the SL exam worse , Paper 3 is easier than paper 1 and 2 and in HL the IA has a lower percentage) But we have a horrible teacher and we have 150 hours for all IB classes for the 2 years , both for SL and HL classes. Maybe Economics wouldn't be so hard if I had at least a mediocre teacher or 240 hours.

We don't have Psychology and the school said that Comp sci counts as a group 4 lesson, not 3. I was thinking about transferring to ESS first but I want to drop Biology to SL next year and I seriously don't want to take a Group 1 or 2 lesson at HL so I decided to take ITGS HL next year.

We don't have a textbook on ITGS but my friends who take ITGS said that they just do nothing and play with the computer for %70 of the lesson and have conversations about the class at the remaining time, there isn't any information to "memorize" and you need to only have some idea about the course and common sense.

I have time until next year through. I'll try to survive Econ at the rest of the year + talk with the ITGS teachers at the end of this year

My school doesn't offer any one year subjects. I don't know the difference between the SL and HL Econ syllabus. We do group 3 subjects in mixed classes and both SL and HL students do the HL syllabus (No idea about the syllabus differences but I find the SL exam worse , Paper 3 is easier than paper 1 and 2 and in HL the IA has a lower percentage) But we have a horrible teacher and we have 150 hours for all IB classes for the 2 years , both for SL and HL classes. Maybe Economics wouldn't be so hard if I had at least a mediocre teacher or 240 hours.

We don't have Psychology and the school said that Comp sci counts as a group 4 lesson, not 3. I was thinking about transferring to ESS first but I want to drop Biology to SL next year and I seriously don't want to take a Group 1 or 2 lesson at HL so I decided to take ITGS HL next year.

We don't have a textbook on ITGS but my friends who take ITGS said that they just do nothing and play with the computer for %70 of the lesson and have conversations about the class at the remaining time, there isn't any information to "memorize" and you need to only have some idea about the course and common sense.

I have time until next year through. I'll try to survive Econ at the rest of the year + talk with the ITGS teachers at the end of this year

You are taking your exams in 2 years right (Nov 2015)? Relax and pay attention in class. Ask your teacher or friends for help. And before you complain about how useless your lessons are watch these IB Economics videos: http://www.econclassroom.com << Take a look at some of these videos now and tell me what you think

Also I do have to agree with you that in a way IB Economics HL is harder than Economics SL but don't forget we have to learn more topics (But it seems you are learning them too).

I my opinion ITGS is a pretty useless class although I don't know much about it. Economics is one of the easier Group 3 subjects yet it is useful. Finally if you have questions there are many people on this forum (including me) who are willing to help you provided we are not too busy. do lots of practice and utilize your textbook.

For me the textbook and the Econclassroom videos were most useful. I was able to drastically improve and it is now one of my easier subjects.

You are taking your exams in 2 years right (Nov 2015)? Relax and pay attention in class. Ask your teacher or friends for help. And before you complain about how useless your lessons are watch these IB Economics videos: http://www.econclassroom.com << Take a look at some of these videos now and tell me what you think

Also I do have to agree with you that in a way IB Economics HL is harder than Economics SL but don't forget we have to learn more topics (But it seems you are learning them too).

I my opinion ITGS is a pretty useless class although I don't know much about it. Economics is one of the easier Group 3 subjects yet it is useful. Finally if you have questions there are many people on this forum (including me) who are willing to help you provided we are not too busy. do lots of practice and utilize your textbook.

For me the textbook and the Econclassroom videos were most useful. I was able to drastically improve and it is now one of my easier subjects.

We are learning the HL additions too and I have no idea about which are the core topics and which are the additions (we just finished microeconomics) but paper 3 is easier.I also heard what you said from other people as well (it seems hard at first but you get used to it) I think the teacher made me hate the course because the course itself doesn't seem that difficult and I learned more stuff from the answer keys of the IB papers than I learned from him. Everyone else thinks that he's bad at teaching. He's also a Maths teacher and my friends who are at grade 12 are still struggling with 9th grade maths because he was their teacher at 9th grade and he taught nothing. I'll check Econclassroom through, thanks for the advice.

All of the group 3's are irrelevant with my career choices (I want medicine or architecture) except Psychology, which my school offers but not as an IB course. I agree that ITGS is pretty useless but I want to increase my overall diploma grade and spend less time on Group 3 to focus on my HL's. I'll see how econ goes and decide at the end of the year.