Subjects for next year

Vilma

So i actually don't have any problem choosing the subjects I wanna study the next 2 years. I'm already pretty certain of my choices. I know what subjects I like but I have no idea what I wanna study AFTER high school… My student counselor is kinda pressuring me to decide something because right now I have no motivation for school. I need some kind of a goal, a more concrete reason to study than just "to be able to apply for a college or university." I've had it easy so far, not having to do anything for my good grades. And yes, I'm aware that it won't last for long anymore. So here are my subjects and I'd like to know what you think I could/should do with them:

English A HL

Psychology HL

History HL

Math SL/HL

Physics SL

Chemistry SL

Finnish SL

Also quite possibly some foreign language like German, Spanish or Russian via the national curriculum.

English is not my first language and I live in Finland. But my teacher recommended that I should take it as A language and literature because I've been on a special English class for 9 years and I like it so yeah..

About math i'm not sure because I don't really like it but I'm good at it so.. :D

Physics and chemistry are just because I like to have all options available.

So basically what I'm asking is what profession/career do my subject choices fit? :)

Your subjects look fine to me if you're confident in studying them in the next two years. You can still change them at the beginning of the year if you're not happy with them (that's what my school allowed). As for what you should study according to your subject choices, I wouldn't worry too much about that at the moment. You've got a long way ahead of you and I wouldn't start thinking about that now. My student counselor told us to start thinking about it just now (four months after grade 11 started). Don't pressure yourself too much with that at the moment, focus on your studies and make sure you get enough relaxation, relaxation is the most important thing at the moment. Stay calm.

So i actually don't have any problem choosing the subjects I wanna study the next 2 years. I'm already pretty certain of my choices. I know what subjects I like but I have no idea what I wanna study AFTER high school… My student counselor is kinda pressuring me to decide something because right now I have no motivation for school. I need some kind of a goal, a more concrete reason to study than just "to be able to apply for a college or university." I've had it easy so far, not having to do anything for my good grades. And yes, I'm aware that it won't last for long anymore. So here are my subjects and I'd like to know what you think I could/should do with them:

English A HL

Psychology HL

History HL

Math SL/HL

Physics SL

Chemistry SL

Finnish SL

Also quite possibly some foreign language like German, Spanish or Russian via the national curriculum.

English is not my first language and I live in Finland. But my teacher recommended that I should take it as A language and literature because I've been on a special English class for 9 years and I like it so yeah..

About math i'm not sure because I don't really like it but I'm good at it so.. :D

Physics and chemistry are just because I like to have all options available.

So basically what I'm asking is what profession/career do my subject choices fit? :)

If you're good at writing, analyzing etc. take A English. Being fluent in English isn't enough but I wouldn't want to demotivate you. Don't take my word too seriously, I'm too biased. My school makes A English obligatory and because I hate it so much, someone choosing literature HL by their will seems quite bizarre to me.

My school doesn't offer psychology but I heard that it's an easy course so go for it.

Sciences are easy , especially at SL (but again biased as a science-oriented person)

HL Maths is not that challenging (at least for me) But my teacher last year told us if you don't enjoy maths, Maths HL will be total torment even if you used to have "high Math grades". SL Maths is quite easy. Math Studies is the easiest option of course but it looks "weak"

Not taking History HL , but heard that it's difficult + needs hard work. If you're not a workaholic, you could consider some of the "lighter" courses maybe? B&M, ITGS etc. And you do really need to consider your future career. At least decide if you'd prefer something about science or humanities. Your lesson choices are irrelevant from each other. If you want something like engineering, you need both Physics and Math HL.

I don't want to sound negative through. I agree with the person above, relax.

Edited by ryuk1