Chemistry Project Idea Related to Plant Growth and Soil

Aflorcon

Hi. I know that there are a lot of group 4 project topics out there already, but it can't be helped. Our overall topic is the environment, and our group 4 topic is soil (but it can also include plant growth). Our group just needs a few ideas that are not only feasible (one of our earlier ideas was to grow plants in different pressures, but it would require building pressure chambers), but also have an environmental impact that relates to the desert. Thank you in advance for your help. It's much appreciated.

For reference, the bio kids:

-taking desert soil samples, heating one of the samples up, and then using the two samples to grow plants

-testing fertilizers or something on desert soil

Remember, it has to be chemistry related!

You can work with humus I can advice. Environmentcal Chemistry option will help you a little!

Alter humus material, take away potassium, add heavy metals(I would be very cautious if I do that) :P

Or you can add certain bases or acids to soil and measure how effective do plants grow. Strong acids and bases give 'em hell :D

or you might try to come up with an buffer solution to balance the pH of the soil which effects the grow of the plants.

Sorry bro, I just come up with these, hope it helps!