Should I move from SL to Studies?

pwoperfish

Hey guys! So I'm a having a little confusion about a decision I have to make, and I'd like your inputs on it. This is going to be a long post because I like to explain everything in detail. Here we go.

A few months ago I decided that in college, I wanted to do my undergrad in animal science and then postgrad in vet science. Because of this, I had no choice but to take math SL- studies wouldn't be accepted and HL's way too hard for me.

Math is my worst subject- I haven't passed it since the 6th grade. I managed to work really hard and get an A in my IGCSE boards, but we all know that practicing a bunch of past papers will get you through. Unfortunately it isn't like that in the IB.

So the first chapter they taught us in school was arithmetic and geometric progressions. They had a screening test on that chapter- anyone who failed would get sent to math studies. Like I said, I'm really bad at math so obviously, I was pushed down. But since I needed math SL for the whole animal science thingy, I worked hard (okay, not really. Studies is pretty easy) and did well in my first Studies test. They let me return to the SL class, but by this time I had missed out on three weeks' worth of SL classes.

When I got back neither my teacher nor I had the time for make-up classes, so my friend had to teach me everything before the second formatives came up. That included exponents and logs, binomial theorem and quadratic functions. She taught me as well as she could but obviously, she was in a hurry so we did miss out on a lot of things, because of which I failed the next test as well. Thankfully, this time they didn't push me down again, but I've obviously made a very bad impression on my teacher.

Now, I've started to get interested in another major for college- Media and Communication or Writing for Media, whatever you call it. I don't think they'd require a high level of math, so Studies would be fine, right? If I moved to studies I think I could get an easy 7 (I would also get teased a lot, but I'd get a 7 so that's fine, I guess XD) My half-yearly exams are going on right now- math's in a few days and I'm probably not going to do so well, so maybe I should just move down after the test? I really don't think I'm going to do well and I don't think I can handle the internal assessment either. But then what if, for some reason, I can't do Media and have to go back to animal science? It's kind of a big decision.

This is probably really difficult to understand but I'd love if you guys could tell me what you think I should do. Thanks!

if you are going to change you need to do so soon because the school won't allow people to change too late due to all the workload you'll need to catch up on. what you really need to do is consider your university choices, what you would prefer to do. go have a look on university websites, look at the courses you talked about and see what content you will be learning and see what you like most. also check university entry requirements, see what subjects and grades you need to get in for each subject. consider places like the US if you're able to go abroad, because universities in the US usually don't ask for specific grades or subjects in the IB, the courses aims at teaching you everything you need to know. in my case, i'm looking to study atmospheric and oceanic sciences in the US which definitely requires maths, but im taking studies which means i can get a level 6/7 without having to worry because the course contains required maths classes that i have to take, so i dont have to learn it now. see what suits you, perhaps taking maths studies is better because you can get a 7 without too much hassle and focus your attention more on other subjects which are more important, or take SL which you will find harder but need for uni. in the end its up to you and what course you want to do, and its up to the unis youre looking at and their requirements. good luck! :)