Economics Extended Essay

Hey guys!

I had an assembly the other day that asked us to consider what subject we'd like to do our extended essays in (I'm currently a junior). I'm interested in Economics. I'm an SL student so first of all does that create any barriers? Our SL and HL class is combined and so I tend to download the HL material just out of interest and better background knowledge. Also, what kind of things can I look at? I was thinking about the increase in housing rents in my country (Qatar), but this is just an idea. Or could I enquire about the effect of the fluctuation of the dollar on Qatari industries (since the Qatari riyal is pegged to the US Dollar)? Are these viable topics?

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks :)

Hey guys!

I had an assembly the other day that asked us to consider what subject we'd like to do our extended essays in (I'm currently a junior). I'm interested in Economics. I'm an SL student so first of all does that create any barriers? Our SL and HL class is combined and so I tend to download the HL material just out of interest and better background knowledge. Also, what kind of things can I look at? I was thinking about the increase in housing rents in my country (Qatar), but this is just an idea. Or could I enquire about the effect of the fluctuation of the dollar on Qatari industries (since the Qatari riyal is pegged to the US Dollar)? Are these viable topics?

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks :)

Hey,

I'm not sure if it would create any barriers as such, but I really don't see why it would..I think an EE would be the same for for HL and SL students. However, I'm guessing the examiner will grade your essay knowing the fact you take SL econ and so there would be lenient marking..It's just a guess..You could do the EE on any subject as long as you're interested in it and have sufficient knowledge for the same.

Well, increasing house rents might be a fine aspect to cover, but it depends on your research question. In my opinion, an EE on exchange rates would be too broad, so I don't recommend you going for it.

Something on market structures or price elasticities also works out pretty well so look into those.

Additionally, i suggest you browse through the forums on this site (I'm sure you'll find something useful) and go through sample EEs first.

Edited by MISHI