typical offer? min requirement?

fufufuufufufufuuu

For top unis, there is no difference. The minimum requirement is the typical offer.

For not-so-top unis, it is common practice to inflate minimum requirements on their websites and brochures, but they eventually give out many offers that are below the minimum to attract that student towards firm-ing/insure-ing them. Edinburgh has a great law school whose minimum requirement is 40 IB points, I believe; but a friend of mine ended up getting an offer for 36 IB points.

It varies between universities and it varies depending on the personal circumstances of each individual student. Bristol, for example, is giving out Law offers this year for either AAA or A*AB, while on UCAS points, it works out to be roughly the same offer, having the B relieves a lot of stress for the student for one of their subjects.

• Like 2

also by 38 overall, does it mean 38/45 or 38/42?

I noticed too that Bristol's typical offer is something like 37, but theres contextual offer 35?
I read it, and it said that they gave it to low rated schools? I don't really understand it? What if I come from a good school, but its reputation is not so much known for my course?

Thanks for clarifying Arrowhead. You rock!

Edited by fufufuufufufufuuu

also by 38 overall, does it mean 38/45 or 38/42?

I noticed too that Bristol's typical offer is something like 37, but theres contextual offer 35?

I read it, and it said that they gave it to low rated schools? I don't really understand it? What if I come from a good school, but its reputation is not so much known for my course?

Thanks for clarifying Arrowhead. You rock!

They generally give you offers like "obtain an overall of at least 38 points in the IB Diploma", therefore, it includes your bonus points for ToK and EE.

The contextual offer for 35 points applies to students, particularly in the UK, who come from very poor backgrounds/historically really bad schools. When they say, "low-rated schools", they mean that the school in question has abysmal/terrible statistics, only 40-50% of the students from that school every year end up going to university, most students get very low marks, the teaching isn't good/great and/or students have unstable/poor households where they don't get much/any educational support.

Such contextual offers are not usually given to international students though, and if you go to a "good" school, regardless of its lack of reputation for your particular course, you will most likely not get a contextual offer of lower requirements.