1984 HELP

Nami

I needed help with this question on an old paper I read in english, Do you think that the characters in 1984 are portrayed by the author to be trapped somehow by means of society? Any references to characters in the book?

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited) · Hidden by Award Winning Boss, December 5, 2013 - All off topic posts
Hidden by Award Winning Boss, December 5, 2013 - All off topic posts

Have you read the book? not to sound mean, but if you have you'd be able to answer the question fairly easily as the whole point of the book is mental and societal oppression.

Hey, I would be asking the same question if I were still in the IBDP. Prior to leaving the IB program, I struggled with the "Oedipus Rex" book, which basically covers Greek-oriented culture. My IB English 11 teacher, Mr. William Franck of Wooster High School, would actually give us quizzes and exams that were barely understandable. I could not even comprehend the book, even after reading SparkNotes due to the fact that it would ask you questions regarding rough interpretation of the novel that hardly made a bit of sense. Honestly, there were only a few who actually did well in his classroom. The ones who did do well in class actually typically did worse in other courses, such as IB Math or IB Spanish. The student who sat behind me typically scored a 4/15 on his grammar exams. That is even better than what I scored, however. I was averaging a 0/15 on about all of quizzes due to the fact that many individuals of that IB program would agree that he never explains anything! He is somebody who absolutely abuses the "rigor" word that is used by every IB teacher. I did not even understand that novel until way after I dropped the IB program. I understood it after watching an animated video over it on YouTube. Even after that, I still doubt that I could have answered the questions he probably loves implementing to his exams! After dropping the IB program, I felt happy with my advanced teacher for English, Mr. Bowen. He makes his lessons and assignments very understandable. He actually seemed to be very nice and helpful to me, which would be the opposite of Dr. William Frankenstein! I just felt as if I needed to add a bit of humor. Anyway, I can see the reason as to why he would want questions regarding the book that he mentioned, 1984.

Edited by IB*Dropout

To the original poster, the majority (if not all, if I remember correctly) of the characters experience some sort of repression from their societies. Look at Winston and Julia, two of the major characters. They go through lots of repression. I'm sure you can find examples from other characters as well.

Edited by Award Winning Boss
  • Like 2

Posted (edited) · Hidden by Award Winning Boss, December 5, 2013 - All off topic posts

Emmi, why do I have a feeling as if you are just attempting to contradict everything that I write on this forum as an excuse to keep raising your number of posts? I am just making a speculation toward your intentions. I do not believe that your post assisted the original poster, alright? One, I replied to a post that was not generated by the original poster of this thread, therefore, you just did exactly what I did. Three, my school does not have an IB program, however, it is connected to the Tri-County ESC. Four, my post does not appear to be in violation with the guidelines of this forum due to the fact that it follows the guidelines of being relevantly related. Five, a forum must have input from the entire community, even students who are no long in the IB program. Six, I am neither painting a negative nor positive image of the IB program. I am here to assist and relate to the students through my prior experiences with the IB program. Now, I will continue to browse through this forum.

Edit: The post above that was composed by Emmi was edited to add relevance to the post that he or she has generated to be against me.

Edited by IB*Dropout
Posted · Hidden by Award Winning Boss, December 5, 2013 - All off topic posts

Emmi, why do I have a feeling as if you are just attempting to contradict everything that I write on this forum as an excuse to keep raising your number of posts? I am just making a speculation toward your intentions. I do not believe that your post assisted the original poster, alright? One, I replied to a post that was not generated by the original poster of this thread, therefore, you just did exactly what I did. Three, my school does not have an IB program, however, it is connected to the Tri-County ESC. Four, my post does not appear to be in violation with the guidelines of this forum due to the fact that it follows the guidelines of being relevantly related. Five, a forum must have input from the entire community, even students who are no long in the IB program. Six, I am neither painting a negative nor positive image of the IB program. I am here to assist and relate to the students through my prior experiences with the IB program. Now, I will continue to browse through this forum.

Edit: The post above that was composed by Emmi was edited to add relevance to the post that he or she has generated to be against me.

I don't really see why Emmi would want to boost her post count, however, she's a member who's been with us for a long time and was a moderator at one time. Sometimes posts (like the one I'm writing now), are not directly related to the topic of the thread, but no less necessary to keep the discussion in order. Neither you, nor Emmi helped the OP, this one is true. However, I highly doubt Emmi is against you, just pointed out your post was only vaguely related to the topic, didn't exactly improve the flow of the discussion and for sure did not assist the OP in any way, shape or form. No one is against you, just stay on topic.

• Like 3
Posted · Hidden by Gaby, December 5, 2013 - Offtopic
Hidden by Gaby, December 5, 2013 - Offtopic

I don't really see why Emmi would want to boost her post count, however, she's a member who's been with us for a long time and was a moderator at one time. Sometimes posts (like the one I'm writing now), are not directly related to the topic of the thread, but no less necessary to keep the discussion in order. Neither you, nor Emmi helped the OP, this one is true. However, I highly doubt Emmi is against you, just pointed out your post was only vaguely related to the topic, didn't exactly improve the flow of the discussion and for sure did not assist the OP in any way, shape or form. No one is against you, just stay on topic.

Although I barely have any posts or reputation on this forum, I believe that these matter should be controlled through private-oriented messages in order to prevent the post from maneuvering away from the focus of the original poster.

Posted · Hidden by Gaby, December 5, 2013 - Offtopic
Hidden by Gaby, December 5, 2013 - Offtopic

I am here to assist and relate to the students through my prior experiences with the IB program. Now, I will continue to browse through this forum.

And may I ask you how will you the assist students? (Just curious)

I will assist the students by providing helpful information regarding their topics. I will additionally provide my experiences from when I was in the IB program in order to relate in an IB-oriented manner, however, from a rather unacceptable derivative, Black Bird Lockheed.

• 2 weeks later...