i need help with my subjects decision

nessaa.9

Hi guys !

i really need your advise, i started doing the IB two months ago and they had already started the classes.

I'm taking

HL

english B

physics

and History

and SL

maths

chemistry

and spanish

i want to study medicine but the thing is that I'm not sure if i should take history HL or chemistry HL, in my history class they already finished one book (Britain) and in chemistry ST I'm doing find but I'm afraid that HL is too hard, my chemistry teacher is really good though.

i don't know what to do, i really need your advise if you have taken one of the subjects, i need to decide quickly because I'm so behind and I'm afraid of failing.

please help me

thanks

I highly doubt you can do medicine anywhere in the world (save for places like US where it's postgrad) without AT LEAST Chemistry HL, if not Biology HL on top of that. History HL is completely irrelevant for medicine. If you can't handle Chem HL, you can't handle med school, simply put.

• Like 3

As far as medicine goes, definitely take Chemistry HL. I take both Chem and History HL, and so far, neither are that bad. I take Chem because I also may want to go into medicine. In Chem., we cover SL and HL material at the same time, and honestly, just outline the objectives and you'll be fine. Also, if your teacher is really good, then ask him or her about the expectations in the class, and if you do decide to take Chem., he or she should be willing to help you if you don't understand some of the material.

Oh, and for Chemistry, we use a Course Companion Chemsitry Book, but my teacher also recommends using the IB Chemistry Study Guide. I promise, Chem HL is not that bad if you just review it and outline objectives. However, like you, I am only into two months of it, but based on past students' reviews of Chemistry in my school, everything works out fine, and they do not regret taking it.

• Like 1

I find it odd that you don't need biology for MEDICINE! But honestly, it really depends on what you are good at and what interests you because you will do well in that class. I personally found history class boring and I think part of it was I didn't like my teachers teaching style and that was the only class I didn't get a 7 in. I took that class because it was the only Group 3 class offered at my school (since HL economics was full) and did poorly in it. Take what interests you! You will do well in it.

• 5 weeks later...

If you wish to study in Denmark, then you will need physics, maths and chemistry HL to get into the university to study... As well as being able to speak danish on a fluent level :) But from your current location, it could seem that you at least live here :)

That is what my student counsellor has been saying to the people from my class wanting to study medicine :)

Hope it helps!

• Like 1