ib starts next year, need some thoughts for my course selection

unisus

i have until mid november to choose my subjects so i have some time to think about it

my plans are to study medicine at uni and I'm staying in hong kong so maybe hku or cu tho they have very high requirements for medicine

I'm having trouble selecting a subject from group 3. i've also decided that i like econ but i don't know if it fits in with my other subjects, maybe psych is a better choice? i think its an ok subject, but a lot of work lol.

also, i want to know if my choice of HLs involve an insane amount of work as i don't want to kill myself.

so now i have:

HL chem

HL bio

HL econ/psych

SL english lit

SL chinese a lang&lit

SL mathematics

You won't need to choose your HLs until the second year of IB so don't stress about that too much yet. If you think you'll do well in the subjects you've picked then go with them and then you can figure out your HLs later based on which ones are your best.

In my IB experience you'll do better and find it easier to study for subjects that you're really interested in, so if you like economics go with that! Much better to get a 6/7 in a subject not 100% relevant to what you want to do than a 4/5 in a subject that us a bit relevant to what you want to do.

Good luck with the ib!

Also HL biology is an insane amount of work. Like you will be spending most of the two years on biology, but it would be great for medicine so keep that in mind when you pick your subjects as well.

You won't need to choose your HLs until the second year of IB so don't stress about that too much yet. If you think you'll do well in the subjects you've picked then go with them and then you can figure out your HLs later based on which ones are your best.

In my IB experience you'll do better and find it easier to study for subjects that you're really interested in, so if you like economics go with that! Much better to get a 6/7 in a subject not 100% relevant to what you want to do than a 4/5 in a subject that us a bit relevant to what you want to do.

Good luck with the ib!

Well, idk if that's your case, but our school made us choose our HLs since the start. Some of the courses (like Chemistry) have HL stuff in some of the first chapters. For Medicine, I think Chem and Bio HL are pretty good choices.

You won't need to choose your HLs until the second year of IB so don't stress about that too much yet.

I've never heard of something like that before, your school seems quite unique...

Chem and Bio HL are useful for medicine, and many universities will require them in tandem, so check with the ones you're applying to. In general, check with the university before choosing subjects, cause they might e.g. require HL Maths for some bizarre reason.

Between Econ and Psych, choose the one that you feel you'll enjoy more. I haven't taken Econ, but Psychology is a lot of work and fairly difficult to get a 7 in, just bear in mind. :)

I advise to check the university requirements as Biology HL requires a lot of work and memorising (from what I know at least). If you don't want kill yourself and aren't so much into biology then maybe Chemistry HL (I've seen it's required by almost every university in UK for medicine, I don't know how it is in Hong Kong).

To sum up, it's better to take subject that you really enjoy if there is no special requirement (sometimes only one science subject is required).

Edited by Sceptyczka

For medicine you need HL bio and chem. Obviously, theyre a lot of work, but I'm sure if you work hard enough from the start and have good teachers, you will be able to do it. My friends do it and even though they have loads to do, they're not dying! I would advise HL econ only because people in my school really dont enjoy psychology

You won't need to choose your HLs until the second year of IB so don't stress about that too much yet.

I've never heard of something like that before, your school seems quite unique...

I think it must be an Australian thing as all the schools in my area do it that way took the only subject you have to take as HL from the very start of IB is Maths, simply because of the amount of content in the course. I like it this way though, I wanted to do HL chem but after a year of doing SL core I realised there was no way I would be able to put myself through that kind of torture

• 2 weeks later...

HL chem - Good Choice for Medicine

HL bio - Good Choice for Medicine

HL econ/psych - I would go with HL econ because it is a lot easier to get a 7 in and less work so you can focus more on the other courses

SL english lit - required

SL chinese a lang&lit - required

SL mathematics - A lot better than HL math. =)