(Math HL) - Internal Assessment: requesting tips!

tvd7

Hello I just got my first IA called "Investigating ratios of areas and volumes". Although the math looks fairly easy I'm sure it takes a lot more to score decently on it. Can anyone give some random tips about how to maximize marks and what not?

• 1 month later...

Wow i had the exact same one due about 4 months ago lol. Yes the math is easy but if you want to get a perfect score you must investigate with every possible scenario. eg. x^-1, x^1/2 and evaluate if your model works for those values. The mathematics involved with it is very easy as you could use the calculator and probably you are required to use it and show the print screen in the paper. The only challenging bit would be to find the general forms for the strange ones =]
Oh yea i did 1,2,3 only in a day but #4 itself took me more than 8 hours T_T..

[quote name='tvd7' post='18476' date='Jun 18 2008, 02:51 PM']Hello I just got my first IA called "Investigating ratios of areas and volumes". Although the math looks fairly easy I'm sure it takes a lot more to score decently on it. Can anyone give some random tips about how to maximize marks and what not?[/quote]

there's a Math HL portfolio on investigating ratios of areas and volumes? is that under Type I or Type II?

• 3 months later...

This portfolio looked easy and seemed easy at first until number 4. You need to find every formula for each type of value of n; positive, negative integers, negative reals, and then you have to prove it. Just as it was said earlier, make sure to give yourself time after number three to work through number 4. If your havin trouble with number 3, mess around with the integrals, they don't give you the definitions of Area A and Area B for no reason.

• 7 months later...

Hello. My teacher gave me the portfolio and said give it to me by next week. I am doing the ratios of areas and volumes. The first question was kind of easy, but the second and third question what do we do? I did something but i dont know how to prove my conjecture. My taecher is saying just use examples to prove. Please HELP guys.