world lit

Edem

hi i need some tpics to discuss for my world lit 1. the books i'm using are metamorphosis by kafka, the outsider by camus ands ghosts by ibsen. i seriously need quick help. thx in advance. it could be on any thing. themes, symoblism or x'ter.

hey, funny enough i did my world lit 1 on metamorphosis and the outsider, they're pretty 'comparable' in certain aspects. i went for a more 'characterization' kind of topic, but it isnt that difficult to choose when you've read them and pondered what you can talk about. I'd recommend you to do a list about possible topics you could talk about of EACH book, and then check out which ones are common to two or even the three of them.

• 3 weeks later...
hi i need some tpics to discuss for my world lit 1. the books i'm using are metamorphosis by kafka, the outsider by camus ands ghosts by ibsen. i seriously need quick help. thx in advance. it could be on any thing. themes, symoblism or x'ter.

Hey everyone!

yeah im stuck on the whole world lit topic thing to. Im doing HL AL English. Our teacher hasnt given us much of a detailed outline as to what our topics are meant to entail. I've heard that the topics have to be really really narrow though. Does that sound about right?

I'm doing One Day inthe Life of Ivan Denisovich, Paradise of the Blind, and Chronicle of a death foretold.

Even if you haven't read these, some example would be really helpfull too!

-Thanks a million

-soph x

• 2 weeks later...
Guest rudolflai

Oh, I am doing mine on Chronicle of a Death Foretold and The Visit.

Basically you find something that is common within the two books (I chose to analyse the rule of law) and talk about it.

I guess there is always sparknotes (www.sparknotes.com) if you need a quick overview of themes and stuff.

Hi fellow IB survivors!

I am also currently doing some research for my world lit essay.

The books I have studied/studying are: House of Bernarda Alba, Doll's House, Woman at Point Zero, Like Water for Chocolate.

Has anyone else done this selection of books? What are your thoughts for a world lit essay???

Greetings,

Em

Here is my WL1 topic to give you guys an idea.

Anagnorisis of the “Gilded Cage”: Comparative Study of the Female Protagonists in A Doll’s House by Henrik Ibsen and Miss Julie by August Strindberg.

Anagnorisis is a literary device which includes the discovery of something (anagnorisis means discover in Greek). A gilded cage is an idiom meaning 'to live in luxury but without freedom'. I chose this since both works centred around the suppression of middle-class women and both protagonists eventually discover their 'gilded cage' and break out (metaphorically and literally). This is a very narrowed down topic which focuses on only two characters, their similarities and differences. It also focuses on a single literary device, but of course I used others to supplement the anagnorisis aspect. Hope this helps. I will be uploading it once I get my component grades if you're interested in reading it.

Our teacher hasn't even told us what World Lit is!

Is that serious, or is he just waiting until we've read the assigned books?

World lits are indeed very serious..they are the IAs for english.

He's probably just waiting until you finish all the books though. My class did our world lits in February and I'm a May candidate. So don't worry, you have plenty of time to worry about them.

Well I read "the outsider" but we called it the stranger ha-ha. I did my junior year oral presentation on it. I got some of the best marks in the class. Well I didn't read metamorphosis but I thought I heard my friends say it dealt with Nihilism like Camus' book. Maybe you could focus your topic on that. My world lit paper deals with Thérèse Raquin and Allende's the house of the spirits. So I can’t be too much help but I say try and focus something on nihilism in both books but I haven't read metamorphosis so maybe it won’t work.

I'm writing my comparative paper on "Kiss of the Spider Woman" by Manuel Puig and "The White Castle" by Orhan Pamuk. I was going to discuss the aspect of dominance and suppression between the main characters in both novels. I'm worried that it might be too broad of a topic, but the two sort of go hand in hand. I mean, I can't really talk about dominance without getting into suppression. Any thoughts?

Teachers don't exactly give credit for effort. They grade you based on a rubric. The IAs will also be read by people other than your teacher, and they won't know if you put effort i it unless you show it through a well-written paper.

Try to pick a topic that can be related to the book as a whole. Example = if you analyze a certain "scene" in the book, show how it is important to the story and how the plot would be affected if the scene wasn't there.