IB1 Visual Art HL HELP!

willowthetree

Okay, just started my junior year of the IB program. I am supposed to turn in the first 10 pages by tomorrow and I only have the first 5 done(autobiography). I've been so preoccupied with other homework, I completely forgot about art. I have no idea what I'm supposed to do for the Idea research, cultural research, artist of influence and critical analysis. Mostly the idea research. Am I supposed to be focusing on an idea for my piece or like an idea of art form that I will be doing my piece in(cubism, surrealism)??? If I have the idea research down, I feel like the rest will come easier. And how long does it usually take you guys to do all of this? Please help! :(

Idea research can be a lot of different things. For me, when I was "researching" an idea I would look up symbolism that would be necessary, find images to use as references (like if I needed to draw a tree I'd find a picture of a tree to base mine off of, or use a photograph), or draw out thumbnails of possible ideas. It's mostly just planning what you're going to do and how you're going to do it. Cultural research is probably something like looking at other styles/cultures who created art with a similar concept and seeing if you can incorporate any of that into your art. Artist of influence is finding an artist that you'll use in some way (either by meaning, a particular technique, color usage, etc) in your own work. For example, I found an artist that made animal sculptures out of sticks and welded metal, and used that to create my own version of an animal sculpture in his style. And critical analysis would likely be to analyze that artist's past works and showing how each element/principle of art they used contributes to the work's overall meaning and presentation.

It probably took me a few days to do all that if I wanted to do it properly and creatively, but when time was short I could get by with just a few hours of work ;)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hey, I have just finished the first semester, and I have a total breakdown. I've been going to art school for 6 years and it hasn't helped at all, so now I have to do double work, as I have to learn how to properly draw and then also do studio work and workbook pages. When I start doing all of that, I come into tears and it seems that I want to quit visual arts, but I used to think that I am not good at anything else, so I stick to it, but still think that I will never learn to draw and I will not get accepted anywhere. I basically just don't know what to do. could you give me an advise how to manage my time by doing all of these things and then also other homework?

• 2 weeks later...

can i change my theme now when 6 months are already finished of my first year...i am bit confused i have taken architecture of divine places in india...but all work are going towards realistic things..please help me out..can i get a teacher or anyone online which can clear me with my base and give me directions..