HELPP! Should i choose SL or math studies? (for an art student)

Janicewtleung

Hi, I'm a student from Hong Kong and i am a new IB student. I have many concerns about choosing a math level that is most suitable for me to get better university.

I'm a student that is passionate about art and i plan to take creative media, fine art, design course in the future. Although I got an A* in the previous IGCSE higher level maths, but it took me lots of practices, and time to understand each concept. I don't feel confident in taking SL at all.

Here are the subject I will be taking:

Higher level:

Visual Art (I got an A* in GCSE art)

Psychology

English (second language)

Standard level:

Biology

Chinese (first language)

Maths (which i'm thinking of dropping to studies)

I had problems thinking that if i drop to math studies, I would have more time and effort to work on my Higher Art course. I'm also taking a commercial design diploma course outside school so there definitely be much much more stress if I had maths standard. I think it would be much more important to get a higher total IB score.

Although my friends tells me that universities won't look at your math studies; but personally, I have no interest in any sciences, engineer or any subjects/career that requires higher math.

So would it be okay if I just drop this subject? I fear I might regret this decision...

Actually, since you're not interested in any science/math streamed base course, I don't think it should be much of a problem to you if you dropped down a level, but really if you got an A* then SL maths should be alright enough for you, and you should be confident about it! But as far as I know try contacting your preferred university(s) first before making any decision that could affect your future!!

Good luck!

• Like 1