Music Theory or Biology HL? Please Help

oonawong238

So up until recently, I fully intended to take Biology HL as my only HL course that I could choose to take. I've never been much of a science person, but as my only other option was Music Theory HL I thought that it would be best to take biology. However, everybody's been telling me that music theory is so much easier than biology, and I was wondering what everybody else thinks?

I didn't do super well in pre-IB biology, and I have had music training. I'm no longer in piano, but I did take lessons for five years and took several music theory tests. I didn't do super well on them, but then again I never really studied....taking Music Theory HL would mean that I'd have to take an SL physics or chemistry class, but so far I've been doing well in pre-IB physics and chemistry so I don't think it would be a super bad deal.

However, if the only reason that Music Theory is an easy test is because only musical geniuses take it, then I'm in trouble. I've always had difficulty visualizing music written down....I blame starting out in ear training for that. Music has never really been my "thing" like some people, and I don't know if hard work would cut it.

Does anybody have any advice? Thanks for reading, sorry this was so long.

That's an interesting situation you've got. I had a similar one for choosing my final SL course (but with Chemistry instead of Bio). My experience with music was that despite all the theory and ear training (which is no doubt that thing that makes most students slip up), it is a guaranteed 6 if you keep up on your work and practising. I never played the bass guitar before secondary school, but I was playing in bands with the so-called "music geniuses" by the end of the term. In your post you said you have a problem with visualizing music. Does that mean you have trouble reading notes and writing scales? If so, just go with Biology. If you plan on taking an HL, you should already have a strong foundation when it comes to basic musical skills like that.

Biology is one of those subjects that people take because it is supposed to be easy. That is/will not be the case. This is a subject that involves a lot more memorization, and therefore requires more of an effort on your part. I would make the decision starting backward. What kind of degree do you want/what do you want to major in? Does that subject area have prerequisites or recommended courses? If after all that you find that you are still able to pick between Music and Bio, do what YOU like more. I cannot stress that enough. Too many times in my experience with IB have I come across people who do what others tell them to. Do not listen to your friends. You really need to take a look at your strengths and weaknesses and make the choice on your own.

With all that said, good luck with whatever course you choose!

Edited by NerdyGirl511