Time as a theme

Nick Meier

So before I get the whole "you don't need a theme now" for art, our teacher wants us to do one. I'm thinking of doing something related to time. I really like history as well as futurology. I just thought of the idea but I'm not really sure if it's good or not. I really don't want to do the traditional "hey look a clock, things change over time" theme. I want to try and be original. Like we already started our first project where we make X (I think it's 9) variations on an object. I chose this dragon statue thing and already have four done (but I think it might be a total of 13, i really don't know. she's a new teacher). They were summer work so they didn't have one but yeah.

So could time work as a theme and how could I connect it to stuff?

Thanks for all the help :D

Uh, this post might not be an appropriate contribution to your problem, because I do not really take art. But you mentioned you liked history and futurology! And I like reading lots of pieces of literature and so, I come up with weird ideas. Either way, if you look at it from a historic-pass-of-time point of view, you could always have into account that throughout the history of humans it has been pretty much the same symbols repeating over and over but with totally different intentions. If you have to make variations of an object, you could maybe address cultural values given to that certain icon or symbol and how it is totally different, although the importance still lies there and the symbol is recycled.

I dont know which writer said that all literature was basically the same metaphors used over and over with different representations.

Good luck! I hope this was helpful...