Hello everyone!

I am doing my FOA pretty soon, and I am basing it on the presentation "A call to men" by Tony Porter in TED Talks.

I was wondering if anyone had any tips about how to fulfil the first and second criteria for this task. How can I analyse a text properly and show it in my presentation?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by RodrigoA

The main thing you want to do is to focus on the text- comment on all the literary devices used and the effects they have on the reader and why are those effects needed. Don't drift off to the issue discussed in the text - a lot of my classmates did this and paid. Do the AIDA and Logos/pathos/ethos analysises. Good Luck

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Refer to your media notes and talk with in depth analysis.

I had some cultural background included and talked with global perspectives- and a lot.
Talking takes practice, so make sure you are familiar with the words.

Print out your speech before hand and read through it a couple of times, practice with friends etc.
I don't know but that's how I got a 7. Just talk about the subject like you own it with a holistic approach.

All the best! :blowkiss:

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks a lot for the advice! I got a 29/30!

I drew the following conclusions: It is important to focus on the how it is said and the effect it has on the audience, how the message is being transmitted and analysis of contextual importance. All of this especially adddressing the course outcome chosen, and although it is important to know what the message is it is important to avoid falling into a complete content analysis.

What activity type are you choosing to display your understanding? It appears you will be giving a straightforward presentation, is that correct? Or is it, after all, a speech, as mentioned in one of the threads? The terms are interchangeable, but the results in class will be very different.

Edited by Blackcurrant

My FOA, already did it, consisted on the fusion of a dialogue/sketch and a normal presentation. I choose a TED talk called "A call to men" a my base text and I commented on its topic, audience, propose and medium. I did this while I also presented a small dialogue in between the pieces of analysis. Obviously the dialogue, which portrayed a psychologist and a patient (an aggressor) discussing about the teenager's attitude. Which obviously addressed the themes touched on in the TED talk. It served as a compliment to comment on the message and I related it back to the text.