University of London International Outreach program - is it worth a shot?

yii yann

Hi guys!

I'm from Singapore. I'm currently waiting for my IB results (predicted 43), which are coming out in July. My intention was to apply for Oxford university after taking a gap year. However, my parents very recently informed me that sending me to an overseas university is not an option, financially speaking.

Obviously I was pretty shocked. One option would be to go to a local university. They are ranked pretty well, but I really would rather not do that.

I recently found out about a college called "Stansfield College" that works in conjunction with the University of London. They basically teach the UoL curriculum and administer the exams set by the UoL. The exams are all sent back to the UK to be marked. It is called the "University of London International Outreach program". I plan on doing BSc Economics there, and at the end of the day, you graduate with a Honours Degree from the LSE.

I intend to study part time for two years and work also, so that in the final third year I can apply as a transfer candidate to a UK university (hopefully Oxford, but since that seems unlikely, LSE). This way I get a great degree, and also get to spend a year actually within the university, without burdening my parents.

Has anybody heard of this program? It honestly sounds a bit too good to be true. Any thoughts are welcome. I really need your feedback on this matter guys.

If theres one thing I've learned after taking one year of IB, its that you can't take things at face value. I would suggest that you do a bit of research on it and get a little more background on it. If it seems legit, great! If not, well, I would try for a different option.

Edited by Dmetri Tabor