Chances for Ivy League?

Alby Thomas

I was wondering what my chances are of getting into an Ivy League school like Princeton or Yale. If not Ivy League, I at least want to get into University of Michigan. I go to a school ranked #18 in the nation as a public school. This school is also ranked the #1 IB school in the nation. My cumulative GPA is around a 3.7. My SAT scores are estimated to be at least a 2000. As for my ACT scores, probably a 29 at most. Asides from academics, I have an extracurricular activity too; robotics. Our team has gone to world championships numerous times and even won at one point. It is a very dedicated activity, since it requires you to be present 12 hours a week. Feel free to add any suggestions!

You have a good chance. But who knows, Admission officers of Top universities are unpredictable people. I think you got a strong academic info. But it all comes down to your personal statement and interview which makes your final impact to get admitted.

• Like 1

Yale is the Ivy that has the highest SAT scores statistics. With a score of 2000 and coming from one of the best schools in your country I think your chances are slim, unless you write an amazing essay and prove that you not only outstand in robotics but also do community service and have a great GPA. You have better chances at Darmouth, especially if you decide to apply through the Early Decision program.

Hope this info was of any use.

PS: If you want to check what I said about the SAT scores, check Yale's 25th and 75th percentiles for the class of 2017.

• 1 month later...

I've been looking into Ivies too, and they aren't always consistent with their requirements for students. People with 4.0 gpas and crazy high test scores can still be turned down in favor of someone with lesser academic qualifications. Is your 3.7 weighted or unweighted? If it's unweighted, then great! If that's your weighted, you may have a problem. It never hurts to have high scores of course, but it's definitely not a guarantee. Being in IB in a top IB school indicates a demanding course load, so that will look good for you.

Extracurriculars are important too. Robotics is very time consuming and is it's something that you're passionate about, then even better! Though some universities do look for variety in extracurriculars, some prefer that you do not stretch yourself too thin, and instead have a few activities that you feel strongly about.

The essay seems to be the thing that can make or break your chances. Make sure to make yourself stand out, and in a good way! Schools like Harvard and Yale get uber-smart kids who are in clubs all the time, so the essay is a chance to show your personality. Let them know how you can contribute to their campus, as well as how you want them to contribute to your experience.

Try not to get too preoccupied with the college process. Just let them know who you are, what you can do, and why they should care.

Edited by Brienna

Eww Michigan.

Anyways, your scores are a bit low for Ivy League universities. You'll want at least a 2200 to stand a competitive chance, with higher scores all the better. You also only listed one extracurricular activity, robotics. Even though you spend a lot of time on it, you must have others, or you'll have a slim to none chance. What other clubs do you do? Do you have a job? Do you have volunteer work? Judging from just what you posted alone, I would say it's unlikely you'll get into any Ivy Leagues, and maybe Michigan, depending on if you're a Michigan resident or not. Then again, stats aren't everything, and your essay and recommendations are what make or break most people. More information would be good :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...