Business IA help

I am too worried. I have to start my IA soon. I don't know if I can choose a sole trading business for this. Because so far I have only seen examples of incorporated businesses and limited companies. So I am unsure if sole trading business is fine. I have to start doing my research soon. Guys please help or suggest something. Please!

From my own knowledge as a Business & Management student, I'm pretty sure that yes, you can choose a sole trading business for the IA. It might even be easier because most likely, you could have direct contact with the owner

The first thing you need to do for the business IA is to simply find a business. Avoid franchises and "big" companies, as it will be harder to write a report on it - it's still do-able, just harder, particularly in making practical recommendations. Lots of people have relatives or family friends with businesses, so if this is you, ask them if you could use their business! This could be a good place to start as you could be sure of a good working relationship, as your relative/family friend might actually want to help you.

If you don't have any relatives or family friends with businesses, then you probably need to do what I did. I walked around my local area and went into shops asking if I could write my business IA with their business, and explained that I'd be investigating a certain 'problem'. You'll probably get rejected quite a few times as lots of owners are big on confidentiality, but I'm sure you'll be able to find at least one business who might be willing. They might even value a free report that analyses a problem that they're having.

Once you've found a business, you need to find a good research question - should be forward looking and not too large in scope. See if your shop has any small issues worth investigating.. and discuss your ideas with your teacher. It might also be a good idea to read some exemplar Business IAs just to see what it's all about.

Good luck!

• Like 2