BelmaM

Hi! I am currently applying for the Diploma Program and my subjects are:

English HL
Bosnian HL (native language)

German HL

Mathematics SL
Economics SL

Biology SL

Many of my friends that are already in the Diploma Program said that my choice is good, but I am not concerned about that.

Like many, I want to study abroad as my country doesn't offer that much quality education. I am either going to study economy or medicine in a German-speaking land and I already searched on the ibo.org/recognition but the description of the qualifications is not that good. I would kindly ask you to recommend me some universities for either medicine or economy in a German-speaking land in order to spare my time.

Thanks in advance!

I'd recommend you do some research on your own outside of ibo.org to find what you're looking for instead of asking the forum. I'll guarantee you'd be more satisfied with what you will find than what someone could recommend to you, unless they go out of their way to do your own research :)

EDIT: Suggest you make your topic title and thread location more relevant in the future; there is a university forum as well as sub-forums (About Our Forum was the wrong place to start your thread).

Guest Positron

I am either going to study economy or medicine in a German-speaking land.

Not with those subject choices. I'm not entirely familiar with German/Austrian/Swiss medical schools, but I am sure Biology SL will not be adequate. You'll need Biology and Chemistry HL for medicine, sometimes even Physics or Math HL.

Why are you taking Economics SL if you are considering to pursue further studies in it? You will not necessarily need HL Economics for an economics course, but why would you not take HL Economics if you liked it so much that you'd like to study it at university?

If I were you, I'd change my choices to HL Bio Chem Econ/German SL Math English German/Econ (German/Econ depending on the level of German, if it's Group 2 then definitely go for HL, if it's Group 1 then SL should be fine). My point is, your current subject choices, although fine in themselves, are not the right ones for the university courses you are thinking of. Or then the university courses you are thinking of are not the right ones for you.

Edited by Positron

Capt'n Marth:

I am new on this site and also just heard of it so sorry for the wrong sub-forum. Like I said, I looked at the ibo website, but they did not help me much because their only description is the usual thing: how much points you need in order to pass, how many HL and SL subjects, etc.

Positron:

I must take Bosnian on HL, since it is my native language. Because of that, I can take only 1 more HL subject. I took German because I can speak it quite good and understand it very well. Also, it will help me to apply for the universities because I would not have to take the German exam because I would have a C1 diploma. Besides that, I found one medicine university which requires 8 years of biology (they did not mention that it needs to be on HL or that I need to take chemistry as well), but the problem with it is that they also look for 10 periods of Latin per week, which is not possible in my school.

Also, our biology and chemistry teachers are not that good and because of that I am scared of the exams. I asked some of my friends which are taking Biology or Chemistry on HL and they are not satisfied with the teachers. We do not have Math HL. We do have Economy on HL but I do not want to have four HL subjects.

Edited by BelmaM

Capt'n Marth:

I am new on this site and also just heard of it so sorry for the wrong sub-forum. Like I said, I looked at the ibo website, but they did not help me much because their only description is the usual thing: how much points you need in order to pass, how many HL and SL subjects, etc.

I think you misunderstood what Capt'n Marth suggested. He said you should look for information outside of the IBO website. Instead, find medicine and economy programmes on the universities' pages, as they must describe the requirements for the programmes they offer. This way you can be more confident about your subject choice as well, as the information you might receive on this forum can potentially be outdated or not 100% correct, whereas the universities' pages should be up-to-date. For instance, Oxford University clearly states that the applying students need to be awarded a minimum of 39 IB points, where you only have 6s and one 7 in the HL subjects, and the applicant need to have Chemistry and another science or Mathematics at higher level. The German universities will provide you with similar information. If you can't find the information on their sites, you can always send an e-mail to the admission office, as they are there to help you.

I agree with alefal. I suggest you look it up the requirements for each country's universities. Like for example this one for Switzerland. Also, you'll most likely need to change your subjects for both medicine and economics (as mentioned above).

I don't know about Germany or Austria, but you will not be allowed to study medicine in Switzerland as it is reserved for Swiss citizens.