Subjects needed for astronomy or astrophysics

NerdyAlex

Just like the title mention, i am thinking of taking astronomy or astrophyiscs in university, but I don't know what subject I should choose for HL and yes i know HL physics is required. I just don't know I should take Chemistry at HL or Math at HL.

This is my plan

English lit and lang SL

Chinese B HL

Business and management SL

Physics HL

Chemistry HL

Math SL

So please reply, I only have 3 days left to think about my choices, it will be a world of me

Do take maths HL. Most physics-related areas of study require it, and even if they don't, you will have a head start on your maths courses, provided that you stay on top of it. Chemistry may remain SL and I'd stick with four HLs if you're taking maths HL, just to have a back-up plan in case maths (or some other subject) falls apart.

The required subjects are usually HL Physics and HL Maths. The other subjects are up to you.

My friend (who went on to do Astrophysics at University) did HL Physics, Maths and Chemistry and all I can say is that it's a demon combination of subjects. HL Chemistry is actually pretty hard, so unless you love Chemistry and find it easy already, I would pick a more chilled-out third HL subject than Chemistry.

Don't do HL chemistry if you're not going to be doing something with it later on or don't need it as a prerequisite for admissions into an astronomy course (you typically don't). HL math and physics is good, most people in an astronomy course will have taken these or their equivalents in another program. Since these subjects will require a lot of your time, have your third HL be something a little less life-consuming to help balance out a difficult courseload.

First of all thank you for all of you that reply, but i did heard about lots and lots of negative news about the HL math, and personally i love chemistry. Anyway do you think i should drop the HL chinese B to SL? or drop chemistry to SL? or hardcore enough to go with 4 HL?

Edited by Sandwich
Please type words out in full, do not use chatspeak on the forum.

First of all thank you for all of you that reply, but i did heard about lots and lots of negative news about the HL math, and personally i love chemistry. Anyway do u think i should drop the HL chinese B to SL? or drop chemistry to SL? or hardcore enough to go with 4 HL?

You could start of with four HL's, preferably ones that you're comfortable with and if Math HL gets too hard or too much drop to Math SL. P+M+C is a killer combo for some, depends on which one you're better at Chinese or Chemistry. If you're fluent in Chinese or near fluent I'd advise you to keep it at HL and drop to chemistry SL.

It's important to note the sciences are very demanding especially at HL. Even the IAs are demanding, per science you have to do 2 design IAs, 2 Data and collection and 2 conclusion and evaluation. A total of 6 IAs, HL would require you to go in more depth and do more. Whilst in Language B there's not that many IA's, instead there's orals and a rationale/ written response task.

Depends where your confidence lies.