Hey guys!

By this friday, i hopefully need to have though of the topic of my IOP! Very Scary!

I am thinking of doing mine on Like Water for Chocolate by Laura Esquivel, and thinking that it wont be one of the creative options (yeah im boring :P ) but like an explanation or something on the reversal of gender roles and what Esquivel is saying through that. Im thinking of perhaps focusing on the reversed gender roles of the females rather than talking about it from both sides (we need to make our topic specific apparently) and talk about not just characterization but also the structure of the book etc.

What have you guys done in the past/are planning on doing/or can suggest ideas that I could think about? I's love to know what worked in the past and how you delivered or are planning on delivering ur presentation!

Cheers :)

Well, being the extremely creative person I am, I used Flash CS6 to create a game show :). It requires a bit of drama and also has to be presented in such a way that the the presenter was showing knowledge, rather than just asking random questions to the audience.

However, IOPs don't have to be flashy. A PowerPoint would suffice, especially since its simple and effective to use as a presentation tool. Basically, explain your topic, but DO NOT read off the slides. The slides are there as a prompt for you, not a script. I have seen numerous PowerPoint created Individual Oral Presentations in my classes, and they can be very successful.

Well done Akash, thats brilliant!

Sure, thanks. Yeah I think I'll stick to ppts although i would have done a Prezi... http://prezi.com/ but that might take focus away from what I am say.

What actual topics did you guys choose?

And which option (eg, writing a monologue and then explaining the techniques you used; focussing on a theme, aspect in a book; doing a comparison between 2 characters, settings etc) did you choose?

I have used ppt. Simple and colorful and more surprisingly I got 9 out of 10 for this presentation. Saves a lot of time and these slides will really be helpful while doing oral presentation.

I'm pretty sure it's out of thirty mate!

I have mine next term week 2 so about 2 months left :)

I'm doing mine on the theme of honour in the "Chronicle of a Death Foretold" and making it seem like a crime scene investigation...I'm actually quite pumped for it!

I have used ppt. Simple and colorful and more surprisingly I got 9 out of 10 for this presentation. Saves a lot of time and these slides will really be helpful while doing oral presentation.

I'm doing mine on the theme of honour in the "Chronicle of a Death Foretold" and making it seem like a crime scene investigation...I'm actually quite pumped for it!

You are right it is out of thirty

Ten marks for presentation

Ten marks for language

Ten marks for knowledge

Together it makes 30 :)

And I said I have got 9 out of 10 in presentation.

Hope you got what I mean.

@ IB freakingout. I have chose the topic The friendship and selflessness in the Oscar Wilde short stories. Just identify the moral or the themes of the stories and you can make an IOP topic.

Edited by Gaby

Ten marks for language

Ten marks for knowledge

Ok! When you said this presentation, I just couldn't really comprehend that you were talking about the presentation criterion,..but I do get what you mean now

Ten marks for language

Ten marks for knowledge

Ok! When you said this presentation, I just couldn't really comprehend that you were talking about the presentation criterion,..but I do get what you mean now

Presentation and knowledge are easy to score but for language you need to speak in a flow if you need 7 or 8. Best of luck for your IOP, Simran.

• Like 1

Ten marks for language

Ten marks for knowledge

Presentation and knowledge are easy to score but for language you need to speak in a flow if you need 7 or 8. Best of luck for your IOP, Simran.

• Like 1

Are you guys having the 2-3 minute discussion time? Our teacher said it would take FOREVER if we did the presentations in class with him asking us a few questions at the end so we've ignored that... Maybe it's easier to speak in flow if you aren't worried about having to answer questions on the spot. I hope the IOP goes well!

Also, akash i'm surprised you know what you have gotten (im assuming its just the teacher's estimation) but our teacher isn't going to reveal his estimation which kinda sucks.

Are you guys having the 2-3 minute discussion time? Our teacher said it would take FOREVER if we did the presentations in class with him asking us a few questions at the end so we've ignored that... Maybe it's easier to speak in flow if you aren't worried about having to answer questions on the spot. I hope the IOP goes well!

Also, akash i'm surprised you know what you have gotten (im assuming its just the teacher's estimation) but our teacher isn't going to reveal his estimation which kinda sucks.

Ha! Of course my teacher won't show me marks but I peeped into her book and saw it. But that doesn't make me a rule breaker!

• Like 1