Reference question: who should I pick?

Smita

I'm in a bit of a fix.

I've finally decided on a course for university - medical chemistry and/or pharmaceutical science/chemistry.

Here's my problem:

Logically, my chemistry teacher should right my reference for UCAS, but I feel like she doesn't know my potential well enough, and she doesn't know the UCAS system well enough either. I should probably mention - I missed about a term of school this year due to personal issues.

On the other hand, my English teacher comes from London, is very familiar with the UCAS reference system and has taught me for four years (including right now), and I'm doing my EE with her - as opposed to my chemistry teacher (who I've lost two terms with - one because I did chem SL in term 1 of IB, and second because of aforementioned personal issues.) I honestly trust and respect her judgement.

On one side, I've got a teacher related to my field of study, but knows less of my potential and ability, and may not entirely put her full effort to make my application stand out. On the other side, I have a teacher who's known me rather long, understands my potential, and I know for a fact that she'll make it look outstanding.

What do I do?

Thank you for taking the time to help me. :)

Hey there!

Although it is favourable to have a reference from someone in the field of study, it is far more beneficial if the referee knows you well. You would be far better off if your teacher can say you're an independent student who is very much suited for further study, and at the same time refer to specific situations, organisations or actions you've taken part in. Furthermore, although the UCAS system is not that difficult for the referee (at least that's what I've been told), a understanding of the system and the British school system is positive. My referee was also an English teacher, whilst I applied to a combination of International Relations and Development Studies, where, theoretically, both my history and my ESS teacher would be more knowledgeable. She wrote a very good reference still.

If I were you, I'd approach your English teacher first, and ask her if she is willing to be a referee whilst keeping your chemistry teacher as a back-up in case she says she can't.

EDIT: Also have a look at this page about references: http://www.ucas.ac.uk/students/applying/howtoapply/reference

Edited by alefal

I agree with what's been said. A reference is about your character, work ethic etc. and so the person who knows you best is the better choice.

At my school we had our head of year write the reference and it was based on references from each of our teachers for each subject - I don't know if you can find somebody to integrate a load of references like that, but that worked out nicely as a format. It meant I effectively had 7 references, one from each teacher plus one from my head of year. All in one :P Nobody can complain about that!

I spoke to my english teacher, and she said she'd be happy to write me a reference.

I just don't want to bring my application down by picking a teacher who might not be suitable according to the university's requirements, but this helped me make my decision!! Thank you! :D

I spoke to my english teacher, and she said she'd be happy to write me a reference.

I just don't want to bring my application down by picking a teacher who might not be suitable according to the university's requirements, but this helped me make my decision!! Thank you! :D

My reference was written by my out-of-school English language tutor. It seemed pretty satisfactory to all the universities I applied to. The reference was brilliant, that's why I chose him, he also knows me much better than any of my school teachers. :D

• Like 1

My housemaster wrote mine, after my teachers wrote a few lines about me. It was then rewritten by the headmaster, who touched it up. So overall it was written more by people who knew me as opposed to people who taught subjects related to my course!