Psychology vs. Geography? Two sciences?!

fabulousfirangi

Hi, I'm starting the IB next year and I am kind of torn as to which social science I should pick.

Originally I chose Psychology, since I like learning about the mind, there's no names and dates to memorize, and I want to be a researcher or a doctor. But someone told me the stuff we learn in Psychology is pretty much useless unless you want to be a psychologist. My other choice would be geography because I love learning about culture, society, and different regions of the world. It seems like it would be pretty relevant and useful, and definitely fascinating. Which should I take?

And while I'm here, what's this I hear about colleges requiring chemistry if you want to be a doctor? Why?

Hello there! :)

I can speak for only Psychology since I do not take Geography. And on the contrary there IS a lot of stuff to memorize! (case studies, names of researchers, principles, etc.)

Universities generally don't require Psychology as a pre-requisite to major in Psychology (at least the ones I've talked to), most of them require only Math and English (For the arts stream).

Whether or not you are going to take up Psychology as your major or work in a Psychology-related career, I think Psychology is pretty useful and interesting as it gives us an insight as to how are mind works. Honestly, it's all up to you whether you want to take Geography or Psychology. In the first few weeks of the beginning of our year, we were allowed to change subjects if we didn't like them. Talk to your school counselor and ask if the same is done in your school. There are only 2 people in our entire batch of 164 students who take Geography, and they say it's pretty good but also a bit tough.

And yes I think it's quite necessary to take up Chemistry for that path but I'm not really sure though so ask your counselor.

At the end of the day it is your decision to choose which subject appeals to you the most!

Best of luck for your IB! :)

• 3 weeks later...

Frankly, Psychology seems like an interesting choice. Geography is not the best as I've heard from some of my older friends, and it's not exactly going to help in medicine. As for universities wanting Chemistry to be a doctor - yes, it is mandatory even if you're not in IB to take chemistry. Some universities, especially prestigious ones in the UK require HL Chemistry and will not let you apply if you have SL, but most will accept SL Chemistry. But in the end, it depends on which unis you want to go to. Check out their websites, for most you'll find info on requirements for IB for medicine. I am speaking from what I know about Chem requirements for the unis I intend to apply to, but it might be different for you. Good luck!

If you want to study medicine then chemistry is key. The fundamental concepts of chemistry help you with the basic knowledge that is required when studying medicine. I know that here universities will only accept you to study medicine, or related subjects, with both biology and chemistry.

So, my suggestion would be to take chemistry if you wish to become a doctor.

As to the biology/ psychology problem you are faced with. Which appeals more to you? Have a look at what courses you wish to study after the IB and see what their preferences are for their applicants. If it doesn't state them on their website, then email them. They are normally pretty happy to help.

Remember psychology can also be useful for business and management when it comes to understanding what a consumer looks for in a product. Geography does seem quite interesting and psychology is also demanding. You need to memorize names of scientists as well as the experiments they carried out, what they showed and when this happened. If you're taking ESS or biology, it would go hand in hand with geography though, so think about that too.