Hello! My class was having a debate about this paper three question pertaining to the 'how' and 'why' rather than the approach. What do you guys think?

Question: How and why did native peoples in the Americas seek to affirm their identities in the period after the Second World War?

I'm guessing most of you are familiar with the general examiners tips, but I can post them if you're interested

I think it had to do with the growing decolonisation of the world. I once read this article about Native Americans that talked about them being the first American colony that will never be relinquished.

Basically, soon after WW2, most of the former colonies were successfully ending colonial rule (Indian, for example, got its independence formally in 1947). It was the time that signalled the rise of the "right to self determination" in that all peoples of the world in all nations are free and retain the right to like determine for themselves what shape their political future and institutions would take.

If I remember correctly, the Native American population were one of the first in line to fight for this right and were instrumental in providing the necessary research to allow the UN to get the project off the ground. That would be an outline of one of the 'how's.'

As to 'why,' because we were supposedly entering a illuminated post-War era where we would not turn our noses up and let problems fester until they were repeated. Post-WW2 the world was weary and they didn't want to fight another war after it. People wanted peace and the oppressed, long since railing for freedom, demanded the same. The Native Americans fought for their rights and freedom to self-determine their identity because that is meant to be an inalienable right of like all the peoples of the world, so to speak.

Sorry, my historical knowledge of Native American/US history is limited.

Erudite.

Edited by Erudite