Urgent: Using texts not taught by school for Paper 2?

No.

I suppose it would be really not that great to use texts that you've only self-studied and not in class, but does the IB know which texts a school has studied? I assume they know, but would they care so much as to check your essays against that list? I personally don't see why they would care that much if you managed to write a brilliant essay on some text you had never studied. :) Although that of course is a highly unlikely eventuality.

Apparently teachers do send out a letter to the IBO listing out the Part 3 texts, and according to the criteria you have to base your answers on your Part 3 texts (to correspond to the teaching hours)...so you'll be penalized for not using a book you've spent the teaching hours on. I'm definitely not feeling confident about the play I have to use now that I can't use my alternative option, and while I do think class-time helps you put together a great answer, I genuinely believe I could've done a better job with the other text. Oh, well :(

No.

I suppose it would be really not that great to use texts that you've only self-studied and not in class, but does the IB know which texts a school has studied? I assume they know, but would they care so much as to check your essays against that list? I personally don't see why they would care that much if you managed to write a brilliant essay on some text you had never studied. :) Although that of course is a highly unlikely eventuality.

See the post below yours. The IBO does know what texts you have read. Don't gamble on this. Even if you don't know the texts that well, you'll be able to write an okay Paper 2 on it.

• Like 1

I think you have to do the texts you studied with the school, because the examiner marking it has to be an expert on your schools' texts in order to mark it properly.

Just to go off on a bit of a tangent, does the examiner have to be an expert on your schools' text to mark it? I would hope that they would have some knowledge, but does the IB actually have a procedure where they make sure that the examiner marking your essay has read the texts your writing about? I would hope that this would occur as a very natural and logical process, but you never know... Hopefully, even if they haven't read the text, our essays will be so brilliant that the examiner will be blown away by the analysis and instantly award full marks. :)

I think you have to do the texts you studied with the school, because the examiner marking it has to be an expert on your schools' texts in order to mark it properly.

Just to go off on a bit of a tangent, does the examiner have to be an expert on your schools' text to mark it? I would hope that they would have some knowledge, but does the IB actually have a procedure where they make sure that the examiner marking your essay has read the texts your writing about? I would hope that this would occur as a very natural and logical process, but you never know... Hopefully, even if they haven't read the text, our essays will be so brilliant that the examiner will be blown away by the analysis and instantly award full marks. :)

I think so - I think that's why the teachers submit the texts that you've chosen to study for that part in advance, to match it up with an examiner who's got a decent knowledge of the books. At least that's what we were told at school.