deferred entry (2 year singapore military service), how to proceed?

IBTutorOnline

Hi all,

Asking a question on behalf of a student who is currently in IB1 in Singapore and will be required to do 2 year compulsory military service upon completion of IB Diploma.

What is the normal procedure for this kind of situation? I understand UK universities do not take deferrals of more than one year. Should the student wait until receiving final IB grades and apply then with 1 year deferred entry? Do UCAS make any sort of exceptions for these compulsory service situations?

Any information on similar situations would be greatly appreciated.

I'm not sure how it works with more than 1 year deferred entry, but I suggest that whoever this student is gets a list of their 5 Universities and then give the admissions departments a ring or an email to see how it would work if they were offered a place if they want to apply in their IB2 year. Generally that's the best way I know to get 100% reliable information and as it's not an official UCAS option to apply for 2 year deferred entry, it's an arrangement I expect this person would have to come to with the University in question in any case.

If they have no particular reason for wanting to apply at that time, then I'd definitely wait and get the grades and just apply half way through their military service - they're perhaps better off in a way because they'll have concrete grades instead of predicted ones so it won't be a gamble on the behalf of the University and they'll be given unconditional offers.

Don't know if that helps at all, but I know other people in the past who've had a lot of success and concrete answers given to them off the back of a short phone call to the admissions people :)

The UCAS website says only this: "A note for international applicants:

Several countries require their citizens to complete mandatory military or national service. If this affects you, check with universities and colleges in advance to discuss when you should apply. You can defer through UCAS for a maximum of one year. It would be useful to include information on your military or national service in your personal statement."

So it seems to be suggesting getting in contact with the Universities in question too.

• Like 1