Literature IOP: Gatsby or Keats (poetry) ? HELP!

Suraya

I've started thinking about what i should do for my english IOP, but every time i think of something i just end up with nothing. I was going to use the caliphs house by taher shah, but decided not to. i was thinking about poetry by john keats, but now i think i should do the great gatsby.. i cant decide, does anyone have any good ideas?? please helpp :(

Honestly, you should pick the one which you can generate a good, strong thesis out of that you can back-up and prove. I had the same problem for my IOP for The Handmaid's Tale except that I couldn't generate a good thesis and prove. The Great Gatsby has a lot of symbolism that you could use to generate a good thesis out of, for example, how the green light represents the "American Dream" or more in-depth analysis of how big a role the "American Dream" plays in The Great Gatsby. I don't really know much about Keats, but I think it might be slightly harder to present your IOP on poetry, however, it doesn't mean it can't be done. Sorry if my feedback wasn't exactly the best, but I hope it helps.

All the best on your IOP!

If I were you , I would chose the great gatsby, because I think that it has a lot of symbolysim. I already wrote on essay/ anaylisis on it and found that I had a lot to write about after a while. Like deadly knight said, when you can genertate a good thesis then you should go that one.

Good luck