Philosophy vs Psychology vs Geography. Course Selection help!

iknowwhocares

Hi guys, so I'm starting the IB next year, and I'm having trouble choosing my subjects (kinda.)

Ok, so so far I have:

HL English Lit

HL French Lang and Lit

HL History

SL Chem

SL Maths

and I want to take a second social sience. However, is till don't know which school I'm going to. I would be able to take Geography HL at one of them, but not at te other. If I end up attending the second one, I would have to either take Economics which is NOT going to happend, OR take an online course.

In that case, would you recommend taking Philosophy, Psychology or Geography? Which would be the best in terms of difficulty?
I feel like a class such as Philosophy would be better if there was a fair amount of class discussion, but it's also the one I would be the most interested in. Also, even though I am interested in Psychology, the scientific aspect kinda scares me...

WHAT DO I DOOOO?

Geography, you learn tonnes of ****, case studies and all that. If i were you, i would have chosen philosophy over Geography as i've never been good at memorizing stuff but a pity that Philosophy isn't taught here, instead we have a dumb Geo teacher.

Well i can't really tell you much about geography or philosophy, but psychology is a really interesting subject. But, you should only take it if you enjoy reading and are good with independent learning. There's only so much stuff the teacher will be able to actually teach, but its really a self-learning subject. Lots of memorization, and studies to read. On the whole it is interesting, and at SL it is much easier compared to other subjects.

I'm taking geography now, and I have to say that it really is an interesting subject. If you're into learning about the environment, people and how the world runs in general, take geo! Although I have to say that it is almost entirely memorization, but isn't that hard of a subject.

If you like Philosophy the most I'd take that one. You really succeed better in classes that you like, so it'll be easier to get those top marks!

I took Philosophy and it's very easy but I'd worry about taking it as an online course. A lot of it is about the style you approach it with as opposed to the actual material itself and I'm not sure you can really teach the approach effectively over the internet.

If you're going to have to do an online course, I'd suggest you go for a more factual course where style & approach is relatively irrelevant: you can achieve good grades just by having learnt the material. Geography would probably be my selection, on that basis. Psychology essays also seem to have a relatively high emphasis on approach to the material, which again is something where I think you need a real teacher and a real class to properly pick up on.

To be honest, I'd just take Economics. I've done one online learning course in my life and it was a torridly dull experience. I didn't learn very much, it was hard to motivate myself, I got distracted easily and just generally I felt very un-engaged. I personally don't get on with online learning at all. You may be very different from me, but just saying - I'd rather sit in a lesson with other people and be taught passively than sit by myself in front of a computer and have to try to force myself to learn actively, almost regardless of the subject!

• Like 1