IBO predicted grades

"Predicted grades are for the exclusive use of grade award meetings when considering a subject’s grade distributions and the performance of individual candidates. A check on the appropriateness of results is made by comparing awarded grades with predicted grades. If there are significant discrepancies, further reviews may be conducted. Predicted grades are not used for candidates affected by adverse circumstances, including candidates with incomplete assessment for one or more components."

The underlined parts are basically saying that predicted grades are not used for anything else than grade awards meetings and that they are not used for students that suffer "adverse circumstances" (this means preventing success). To me it sounds like the predicted grades cannot be used as a replacement for sitting the exams if the "candidates [are] affected by adverse circumstances".

"Predicted grades are for the exclusive use of grade award meetings when considering a subject’s grade distributions and the performance of individual candidates. A check on the appropriateness of results is made by comparing awarded grades with predicted grades. If there are significant discrepancies, further reviews may be conducted. Predicted grades are not used for candidates affected by adverse circumstances, including candidates with incomplete assessment for one or more components."

The underlined parts are basically saying that predicted grades are not used for anything else than grade awards meetings and that they are not used for students that suffer "adverse circumstances" (this means preventing success). To me it sounds like the predicted grades cannot be used as a replacement for sitting the exams if the "candidates [are] affected by adverse circumstances".

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Of course predicted grades can not act as a replacement. My third point was about students who have already done all the exams and are under the unfortunate condition that some of their papers have been lost in the mail. This is not relevant at all to the student's health condition. This is between the school and the IBO.

I never said that they will give you a grade solely based on your predicted grades. Your internal assessments, and the other papers for that subject which you have done will also be taken account.

I don't think this is something one should worry so much about - just study for your finals. If your papers get lost, you will most likely not even be told about it.

Let me clear this up.

Predicted grades are used for the following reasons:

1. To give the universities which you are applying to an idea of what you might get on your finals. (Through UCAS for instance)

2. [Optional] To allow the school to make analysis of students’ academic standings and compare the results from previous years.

3. The predicted grades will be taken into account by the IBO in case some of your final exam papers are lost by mail. If your exams are lost, your grade of that subject will be based on your internal assessments, the other final exam papers you did for that subject, AND what the actual teacher thinks you would have got, meaning the predicted grades.

/IB-Adam

Source, please? I can't really believe the IBO would do such a thing.

Sources: 1. My IB-coordinator, experienced teacher and IB examiner.

2. My economics teacher, experienced teacher and IB examiner.

3. My math teacher, experienced teacher and IB examiner.

Yes, many of our teachers are examiners as well.

As for the third condition, I think this has happened to Sandwich's school. (I don't remember which post that was from, unfortunately. It was a post here on IBS.)

Yep, although I should stress it didn't happen for final examination papers, but for the Chemistry IA folders, so I can't account for what they'd do with final exam papers.

I'm not sure how relevant it would be nowadays though - my understanding is that they've started posting a lot less (I think they realised they were being massive hypocrites telling us to be responsible world citizens and then casually running up thousands of international airmiles posting our exams around). Exam papers at least I think are scanned in, so they'd be very hard to lose. I'm not sure if they still post IAs. And obviously anything electronic can't be lost, such as TOK essay submissions which I believe are now done online.

Let me clear this up.

Predicted grades are used for the following reasons:

1. To give the universities which you are applying to an idea of what you might get on your finals. (Through UCAS for instance)

2. [Optional] To allow the school to make analysis of students’ academic standings and compare the results from previous years.

3. The predicted grades will be taken into account by the IBO in case some of your final exam papers are lost by mail. If your exams are lost, your grade of that subject will be based on your internal assessments, the other final exam papers you did for that subject, AND what the actual teacher thinks you would have got, meaning the predicted grades.

/IB-Adam

Source, please? I can't really believe the IBO would do such a thing.

Sources: 1. My IB-coordinator, experienced teacher and IB examiner.

2. My economics teacher, experienced teacher and IB examiner.

3. My math teacher, experienced teacher and IB examiner.

Yes, many of our teachers are examiners as well.

As for the third condition, I think this has happened to Sandwich's school. (I don't remember which post that was from, unfortunately. It was a post here on IBS.)

Yep, although I should stress it didn't happen for final examination papers, but for the Chemistry IA folders, so I can't account for what they'd do with final exam papers.

I'm not sure how relevant it would be nowadays though - my understanding is that they've started posting a lot less (I think they realised they were being massive hypocrites telling us to be responsible world citizens and then casually running up thousands of international airmiles posting our exams around). Exam papers at least I think are scanned in, so they'd be very hard to lose. I'm not sure if they still post IAs. And obviously anything electronic can't be lost, such as TOK essay submissions which I believe are now done online.

TOK essays are uploaded online, and I believe that so will the IAs and EE since 2014 (not sure about the IAs). This year, IAs are still mailed. Exam papers, I think, are scanned, but I've no evidence to support my words. ;)