Paper 1 timing

What kind of time schedule do you guys use for Economics Paper 1s?

I am using a schedule which divides the 90 minutes of Paper 1 into:

20 minutes of planning time in which I make an outline split into:

5 minutes for each of the four questions (totalling 20 minutes)

70 minutes for writing split into:

15 minutes for each part a question

20 minutes for each part b question

Edited by dniviE
  • Like 1

I often run out of time so i normally don't plan, which sort of saves time but may affect the quality of my essay, the structure. What i do is, i start with definitions, briefly talk about the topic e.g "phillips curve" and then directly go into the diagram, then i briefly describe it, then analyse it and evaluate it...Although for the 15 marker, the evaluation contains another diagram...

15 min for (a)

30 min for (b)

I find the (a) questions somewhat easier in comparison to (b) because its usually explain this explain that questions.

So I spend more time on (b), which I find harder because of the evaluation and the discussion.

15 min for (a)

30 min for (b)

I find the (a) questions somewhat easier in comparison to (b) because its usually explain this explain that questions.

So I spend more time on (b), which I find harder because of the evaluation and the discussion.

Is that included planning time for the individual questions?

15 min for (a)

30 min for (b)

Is that included planning time for the individual questions?

Yep

1 ~ 2 mins for (a), I write pretty fast btw

3 ~ 5 mins for (b)

Yeah, I actually talked to my teacher about this today after marking a Paper 1 I had written together with him. He said that I should minimise the planning time as much as possible. Instead of using 5 minutes planning for each of the questions he said I should aim for 2 minutes on each of the questions.

Paper 1 consists of two sections: A) and B). The whole paper is 90 minutes, thus one section should be allocated 45 minutes. Of those 45 minutes 18 (including 2 minutes planning time) should be on writing the a)-question while 25 should be directed for the b) question.

I have to say myself that this time schedule is quite crazy. I mean 2 minutes for making an outline! That is insanely short at the moment for me. The only way I think I can get it right is by practice, practice, practice and timing myself every time I am doing a Paper 1 for practice!

Yep

1 ~ 2 mins for (a), I write pretty fast btw

3 ~ 5 mins for (b)

How much do you actually outline in this time? Could you maybe make an example of an outline you would do in 1-2 minutes? I would be extremely grateful if you could do this, to show how much you are actually including in such a short amount of time. Do you use abbreviations and stuff like that? One tip my teacher gave me was that I should just draw the diagram in the outline directly onto the sheet of paper that I am using for the actual exam. Like, if I know that I am writing about a tariff I will already estimate how many lines I'll use for my introduction and then put my diagram after those lines. That saves time, as I don't have to draw the diagram twice.

What do you guys do? I am struggling to have enough time and to divide the time between the questions.