Paper 1 Timing Issue

Hi All,

Our English teacher has started preparing us for our SL paper 1 (unseen commentary). There seems to be a dispute as to how long we get for the paper. Our teacher has suggested that we get 1.30 PLUS 20 minutes of planning time separate to that 1.30. It seems a little odd to me and my teacher refuses to confirm whether we do or not.

Does anyone have any more information about it?

Thanks!

Edited by HenryS

Unless there has been major changes to the programme for the 2014 graduates, you have 5 min reading time + 1h30 minutes to actually write your response. You're not allowed to write anything during the first 5 mins, as they're only used for reading (pretty self-explanatory, I suppose). Check the subject guide, it should contain all your answers.

EDIT: I just checked my subject guide, and it does seem to only mention that the examination should (and will) last for only 1 hour 30 minutes for SL on P1. I am, however, completely certain that there is only a 5 minute reading time prior to this time. Your teacher should have teacher's support manual and your IB coordinator should have the examination instructions easily accessible. You could ask them to verify whether or not you actually have 20 minutes of preparation time, but to me that just sounds crazy.

Edited by alefal

The syllabus states that in the real exam one will get 1 hour and 30 minutes for SL Language A L&L, with 5 minutes of reading time before the actual exam starts. What I think he is trying to convey is that the teacher is giving them 20 minutes of reading time/preparation time in order for them to get the hang of how the paper is supposed to be done. This is very commonly done in a situation in which the students have never done the paper before and therefore needs more time to understand how to do it. Considering that his teacher has just started teaching them Paper 1 it is fair to assume that he is a 2014-kiddo and thus has just started learning Paper 1. Therefore the whole idea of having extended reading and planning time (combined) makes a lot of sense, since they (the students of the class) has to learn how to write the paper.

In the final exams for SL L&L you will 100% certain get 5 minutes of reading time in addition to those 1 hour and 30 minutes used for the actual paper. Whether or not you want to use 20 minutes for planning is up to you. Sounds quite a lot to me (at least in a final exam), comparing to how much time the actual paper takes. You will be left with only 1 hour and 10 minutes to write your essay (which is completely fine if you ask me). I am in HL L&L and I use about 10-15 minutes planning, but I have 2 hours to do the whole exam.

• Like 2

I usually spend 20 minutes or so planning, but true I spend a little less planning unseen. Then again, combine re-reading time alongside planning and prep for the essay, and it's probably nigh on 20 minutes for unseen anyway. I think your teacher meant you should spend 20 minutes planning, not that you get extra time to plan. Also bear in mind though that I do get 2 hours as opposed to 1 hour 30 mins, so although my teacher advises me to spend 20 minutes, you should probably cut that to 15 minutes or so for SL.

People who think that's too long planning, I disagree. Planning is an investment. From history, philosophy and english exams, I can tell you that I can write a 3-4 side essay in 40 minutes. I'm even faster when I plan, as I'm stopping to regather my thoughts much less if I'm using a guiding plan. Hence why I call it an investment: I consider it as spending 15 minutes planning, then finishing my essay perhaps 10 minutes faster than I would have due to constant flow of writing, plus my structure is more likely to be logical and easy to follow if I took those minutes to plan what I'll write, and when.

In the unseen, 25% of the marks are for structure and how well organised you are, so OP do take planning seriously, even (and especially!) if you can devise a system that works for you of a quick yet effective planning process. It really makes a difference to your writing that you've organised it and are not just throwing in ideas as they come to mind, and thus the examiner will give you more points towards that 25%. Examiners have to mark so many scripts, and they're probably tired and frustrated, they're human. If your essay, after x amount of unclear/lazy scripts (not assuming that not planning = not lazy), is clear and easy to follow, they will appreciate it.

• Like 1

hat I think he is trying to convey is that the teacher is giving them 20 minutes of reading time/preparation time in order for them to get the hang of how the paper is supposed to be done.

If that's what he meant, then I completely agree with you and TykeDragon. Although we never did the same here, I clearly see why some teachers would want to do that. It is very helpful to learn how to plan efficiently. However, I suppose this should be done only for the first few times, as it is also very important to get the timing right on the real one.

• Like 1