Application Fears.

SeniorStatus14

So this summer I start applying to college. I'm really want to go to Auburn University, Ohio State University, University of Florida, University of California at San Diego, University of Hawaii, University of Tennessee( Was looking into Vanderbilt, but my dream of going there is over) (aka anywhere but my home state of Virginia).

My issue is that I got my first SAT results back and they were only a 1600... I get 1 more chance at the SAT and 2 shots at the ACT to improve my scores. I also know my GPA isn't that great from the difficulty of IB. Freshman- Sophomore year my GPA was out of 4.5 and now it's out of a 5.0 scale.

My cumulative GPA is around a 3.4 which is HORRIBLE in my opinion I have 2 semesters to get it up before class rank. I'm really hoping to get it up to a 3.7-3.9 which will require honor roll or pretty darn close to it. I also know that my admissions essay will be awesome, because my writing skills are pretty good when I set my mind to it.

I have a ton of extra curriculars thanks to CAS hours and I know my teachers will write really good recommendations for me, but I'm really worried I won't get accepted anywhere! (Yes I'm looking at other colleges besides those) My parents say that because of my GPA and grades I'll never go anywhere. I'm not looking into really small schools, mostly state universities in the SEC conferences, warm climate areas, or universities in the south.

So, my question is....Do I even have a chance at these schools?

As a current OSU student (also from Virginia!) I'd say you should try to raise your GPA and your SAT score a little bit. OSU isn't super selective, but they've been becoming more selective recently, and people who used to get in with really low GPAs aren't. Granted you don't need like a perfect 4.0 and 2200+ SAT to get in, I was admitted into university honors with a 3.86 unweighted and a 1930 SAT score which is typical of a lot of incoming kids. Your SAT might put you in the lower end of things, so I'd try getting it up to at least 1800. If you can get it sufficiently higher you can use it to qualify for some of the merit scholarships, which can be a bonus :) A lot of people I know there applied using ACT scores, and the average ACT is around 28-29 or so, so if you can get that or higher, have solid essays, etc I think you'll have a chance at getting into OSU. If you have any questions about OSU you can PM me.

I have a friend who goes to the University of Tennessee and her scores were similar to mine. I don't know about any of the other schools and how selective they are, but try collegeboard to see the average admittance rate and test scores. That will show you what you need to aim for to stand a chance.

P.S. Ohio is cold :P I didn't realize how cold it was, being from a relatively warm ocean-bordering city, but winters get chilly here! I hope you like snow, because it snowed a lot this year :(

While I don't know the selectivity of those unis, I do know that even though US unis look at you as an applicant (i.e. they look at your extra-curriculars as well, your personal essay etc...), grades have a huge part in helping you get in. So I say try your best at improving your grades and SAT/ACT score.

Also, I suggest that you don't take both the ACT and SAT tests - choose one you are better at. The time it takes to prep for both is time wasted in my opinion, since you can use that time to improve your school grades instead. Find the test you are most comfortable with and stick with it. Also, you can do SAT/ACT testing in your first semester of senior year (from what I remember ACT testing starts in September and SAT in August), but that would be pushing it, especially if you want to focus on your school grades or apply early.

Here's the thread for picking ACT or SAT: http://www.ibsurvival.com/topic/22484-act-or-sat/

• 2 weeks later...

You should definitely apply to UCSD!

I was just accepted with a slightly higher SAT score of 1790, I scored 660 on SAT II Physics and 710 on Math II. In June 2012 I had 32 IB points I think (they don't take predicted grades, nor December grades as their deadline is earlier).

I'm sure that if you work on your SAT score a bit you have a definite chance to get in! :)