Economics IA Suggestions?

Hi everyone,

As you know, I'm thinking of doing my Econ IA on fossil fuels, and how as they run out (scarce resource with negative externalities) they should be replaced with renewable energy.

I was thinking of this article (instead of my last one that I posted)

http://www.dailytargum.com/news/university/professor-educates-on-importance-of-wind-energy/article_7ce943ca-7974-11e2-a232-001a4bcf6878.html

Could any of you look at it and give me an idea of what I can analyze economically in the article? Meaning, how can I translate this to a microeconomics IA? Is this source okay?

I don't quite understand how there is any economic concepts you can clearly draw out from that article. Try to find another one that speaks clearer to you when it comes to economic content and concepts. You should be able to easily see what economic concepts you can identify within the article and from that work out a commentary.

As I can see you are in your first year of IB, I can imagine that you are attempting to find an article that is suited for a Microeconomics commentary. For that section I would suggest that you attempt to find an article that is related to subsidies, taxes or market failure. Suggested keywords to use for searching in Google (or any other search engine for that matter) are: alcohol tax, cigarette tax, pollution tax, pollution, air quality, subsidies (of any business).

Good luck!

I think the article you have linked above is more appropriate for a commentary. You should definitely focus upon the tax, the negative externalities of production in the plants and how this affects the environment. That would allow for a fruitful analysis on market failure and how Shanghai would be countering it.

Good luck!