World Lit Topic

So for my world lit paper, I need to create a topic about Ibsen's Ghosts. I have one, but I'm not sure if its any good. Feedback please? :confused::)

How does Ibsen use the themes, 'Society's Expectations' and 'Deceit and Denial' in his play Ghosts, to develop the characters Mrs. Alving, Pastor Manders, and Engstrand?

To what extent and by/with what stylistic devices (literary tools?) does Ibsen use common themes, such as society's expectations and decait and denial in his portrayal of characters in Ghost?

seems better,

but still for me the subject should be general and then in introduction you should narrow it down

i don't follow though - there is no world lit paper in lit & lang, it's only in lang a: lit...

Yeah, I think that mentioning the significance of literary tools in exploring themes is important in a world-lit topic. Just saying that he is 'using themes' to explore characterisation and societal concerns sounds a bit formulaic and unoriginal in a literary sense. I'm also not sure what Language & Literature has to do in terms of world lit, or whatever it's called now.

To what extent and by/with what stylistic devices (literary tools?) does Ibsen use common themes, such as society's expectations and decait and denial in his portrayal of characters in Ghost?

seems better,

but still for me the subject should be general and then in introduction you should narrow it down

i don't follow though - there is no world lit paper in lit & lang, it's only in lang a: lit...

So I should include stylistic devices/literary tools that Ibsen used in Ghosts? Like figurative language used?

So I should include stylistic devices/literary tools that Ibsen used in Ghosts? Like figurative language used?

Yes. Exactly. You should ideally mention what major figurative/literary tools you're relying on for your analysis in your RQ.

Good luck!

PS: I hate your topic.

Edited by Arrowhead

Yes. Exactly. You should ideally mention what major figurative/literary tools you're relying on for your analysis in your RQ.

Good luck!

PS: I hate your topic.

Thanks for the feedback....but just to be clear you guys are suggesting my RQ to be 'What literary tools does Ibsen use in Ghosts to develop the themes, society's expectations and deceit and denial, in his portrayal of characters?' That seems like a bit much.....

Thanks for the feedback....but just to be clear you guys are suggesting my RQ to be 'What literary tools does Ibsen use in Ghosts to develop the themes, society's expectations and deceit and denial, in his portrayal of characters?' That seems like a bit much.....

Er, no. I was telling you to specify which literary tools exactly i.e. symbolism, similes, apostrophes, imageries, etc.

oh yeah. thanks that makes it easier. I was thinking of focusing on figurative language, because I've already found some that is crucial to devolving the themes.

What figurative language does Ibsen use in Ghosts to develop the themes, society's expectations and deceit and denial, in his portrayal of characters?

Maybe change that to:

"To what extent does Ibsen use figurative language does Ibsen use in Ghosts to develop the themes - society's expectations and deceit and denial - in his portrayal of characters?"

...More argumentative this way.

Also, as a side note, I don't like "portrayal of characters," it's too wordy. Maybe simply call it "characterisation?" Or perhaps "character development" if you're heading down that direction anyway.

Furthermore "society's expectations and deceit and denial" might just be too vast for a measly 1,500 words. I would narrow it down to one theme.

Also, "characters," as in plural, as in potentially every character in the book - too vast! Maybe consider narrowing it down to two, maybe three, characters?

Edited by Arrowhead