English A1

Guest bloo

Hello!

Is it obligatory to take your mother-tongue language as your subject for group 1? I'm Polish, but I would like to take English Literature instead of Polish Literature, even thougt it might be more challenging.

Cheers.

Depends a bit on your school. You are supposed to do your own language as A1 but it is possible to do two A1 languages at the same time. I, for example, am doing A1 English Language and Literature HL and A1 Norwegian Literature. If A1 English Literature is the option you want then go for it. Check with your school first though, they might have some recommendation or requirement for you to take A1 Polish Literature as you are going to study in Poland (I presume).

The problem is that I don't want to take Polish Literature because It destroys my subject comibation and I'm not going to study in Poland.

I'm planning to take:

English Literature HL [Group 1]

Spanish ab initio [Group 2]

Geography HL [Group 3]

Physics SL [Group 4]

Mathematics SL [Group 5]

History HL [Group 6]

As far as I can see from your subject combination it looks good! If that is really what you want to do then do it, but do check with your school before hand if you can take English A1 and not Polish A1.

@TykeDragon: there is no such thing as English A2 anymore.

It did exist, but after the students up for examination in 2012 it was taken away from the IB Diploma subjects and is no longer provided. Sad if you ask me, as there is no level in between A1 and B anymore. The gap is a bit too big from B to A1 to be honest.

Edited by dniviE

I think you should be fine because there's a friend of mine who's fluent in both English and French although he's frech (from his mother side), he took French B HL which apparently is a piece of cake for him (getting 90% mostly). I would advise you to take polish if you're thinking of doing universities within Poland and not thinking of going to either America or UK.

• 5 months later...

We're in the same boat mate.
I've moved to Poland a month ago - mum's polish - and I wanted to take English as my first language but could not because the schools I've applied to were public schools, though the IB coordinator told me that I actually could take English in group 1 at private schools.

My aim is to study abroad, preferably in the UK, too, but I don't think having polish as first language is going to be much of a burden. What chance of studying abroad would regular polish students with a polish matura have of studying outside the polish bordes? IB must be there for a reason, agree? (:

You can still have English literature in group two if I'm not wrong - at least that's what they told me and that's also what I am going to take.

Take care.

Edited by Valeria Pezzino