Lab report - variables question?

yghydumdam

Hello. I've got question concerning appropriate notation of variables. Namely: I investiage photometric law of distance (inverse square law of light) and my RQ is: "How is the luminance of the light-sensitive area of the photoresistor dependent on the distance of photoresistor and source of light?”.

The point is that to indicate how the luminance change, I measure resistance and iverse it, due to inverse proportionality of luminance and resistance. Hence, my unit for a luminance is not lux (as in the theory) but Ohm to the power of (-1). The question is: what is my dependent variable? From RQ, it is luminance. But I actually measure a resistance to get the relationship from RQ. So: where should I put both these values - luminance and resistance?

Thanks in advance.

Hello. I've got question concerning appropriate notation of variables. Namely: I investiage photometric law of distance (inverse square law of light) and my RQ is: "How is the luminance of the light-sensitive area of the photoresistor dependent on the distance of photoresistor and source of light?”.

The point is that to indicate how the luminance change, I measure resistance and iverse it, due to inverse proportionality of luminance and resistance. Hence, my unit for a luminance is not lux (as in the theory) but Ohm to the power of (-1). The question is: what is my dependent variable? From RQ, it is luminance. But I actually measure a resistance to get the relationship from RQ. So: where should I put both these values - luminance and resistance?

Thanks in advance.

Sorry i don't understand the question. Try to rephrase it!

Are you asking for which is what?

Independent variable: The variable that you're changing in the experiment i.e the intensity

Dependent variable: The variable that is the outcome due to a change in independent variable i.e resistance

Correct me if i'm wrong.

Ok. I know it but notice that RQ should include dependent variable and it includes luminance. On the other hand, I do not measure it 'directly' but I check how resistance responds to change in the distance and then, converse it to obtain luminance. In other words: my raw data table does not include the same variables which are in my RQ. Thus, I don't know how I should specify it.